Originally Posted By: J Geoff
I usually get lost trying to understand all this legal stuff, but Viacom's claim is that they just want information on the viewing patterns of users so they can make a case about copyrighted material? And that they supposedly won't use any private information. But yet they're demanding it be turned over, right? I'm amazed that this would involve any user that's even watched a video containing copyrighted material, possibly completely unaware of it.

I've always thought the whole fight on Viacom's part didn't make much sense. Again, only from the bit I understand...but whatever self-interest they're going for in keeping their material off YouTube is making plenty of enemies for themselves. I guess it's that YouTube/Google is getting benefits of their own through the material, but it's promoting Viacom by promoting their stuff. Denying their fans the chance to view the material on YouTube leads to nicknames like 'Viacommunists' popular at the message board for Colbert. And that's gotta be bad business to upset the fans who are buying the merchandise and supporting the shows...

I'll have to keep updated on what happens with this story.