That's not only one of my favorite scenes, but it was the first long piece of dialog (monologue?) that I memorized from the movie. However, it wasn't until I read the novel that I understood Woltz's stubborn refusal to give Johnny the movie role...and it's in the novel where you'll find the answer.

When Woltz says, "I ain't no bandleader," he sums up his closing argument to Tom and you could reasonably infer what the novel makes explicit -- Woltz (immovable object) believes he is Vito's equal (unstoppable force) and is openly challenging Vito with his refusal to give Johnny the role. He's saying to to Vito through Tom, "What's he gonna do, whack me because I wouldn't give an acting part to Johnny?"

This was really a high-stakes game of chicken between Woltz and the Corleones...and Woltz ultimately blinked first.

There are a number of stories where the novel provides a detailed explanation but somehow doesn't create the same impact as presented on the screen. Similarly, the movie leaves a lot of questions unanswered because it's so difficult for a screenwriter, director, and group of actors to convey a thought process the same way it's detailed in a book. Woltz's rationale is detailed nicely in the book, but Coppola's movie scenes and the iconic horse's head are the explanation point to Puzo's writing.

tony b.

Thank you for the dinner and very pleasant evening.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"