Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I don't follow team sports at all, but I'm a boxing fan--I tape all the fights shown on US TV so I can fast-forward the dull parts or do frame-by-frame on the KO's.

As a kid, I watched "Friday Night Fights" on TV with my uncles. My favorite was Kid Gavilan, a Cuban welterweight with his famous "bolo" punch. I went to one or two fights with my uncles at the old Garden that SC described.

I also crossed paths with Ali:

One day in 1987, I had business in a Chicago suburb. I flew in that morning and out the same afternoon. While waiting at an unusually empty gate area at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, I looked up from my book--and, standing not 100 feet away, there was Muhammed Ali! He was all by himself. Superficially, he looked great: trim, not fat like most former heavyweight boxers, no gray hair, no obvious marks on his face. But his eyes told a different story: he was a million miles away, lost in space. After a minute, a little white woman walked up to him, took his arm, turned him around, and started walking him to his gate. Just then a group of little kids came over and started talking to him. A ghost of a smile came over Ali's face, but it, too, was a million miles away.

Poor guy: he was without a doubt the world's most famous man just a few years earlier--and now reduced to a shell.

Wow!! You guys are killing me with your stories!! That's great to cross paths with him, But sad to have seen what you did. He really was something!!

Turnbull, make sure you check the link to the site SC posted up. It's got everything!!

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato