I haven't followed the sport in the past 40 years or so, but I was big fan before that. blush

One of my highlights was going to the last fight at the "old" Madsion Square Garden in 1967. The main bout featured lightweights Ismael Laguna and Frankie Narvaez. Laguna won in a unamimous decision, which caused a full-fledged riot. Hell, the crazed Narvaez fans even tossed the large music organ from it's perch in the middle deck down to the floor. Bottles were flying everywhere!

As my brother-in-law and I ran out (covering our heads) we crossed the street only to see Muhammad Ali and his entourage. I was 17 at the time and I brushed past his bodyguards and handed him a newspaper I was carrying. He signed his name and I said, "Thanks champ", which prompted a smile from him (he was then stripped of his title because he refused to be inducted in the military draft, but he was still truly the heavyweight champ). What made it even nicer was that there was a picture of him and basketball player Wilt Chamberlain on the page that he signed. The caption below the picture still referred to him by his birth name - Cassius Clay.

I have that signed page hanging on my wall now.

I spent MANY hours at the "old" Garden going to boxing and wrestling events.