Originally posted by MaryCas:
Why did you guys read it then?
Because I don't have foresight in cases such as this! And when I said "appalling" I meant appallingly written--the actual story and, at the time, the originality of the plot etc and masterful. grin

The movie would have been impossible without the inspiration of the book.
I couldn't agree more, PP! grin

How can you say the book was "terrible" but THEN say it wasn't because it was the basis for the film? Very Strange.
Firstly, since I am the only poster so far in this thread who actually commented on TGF novel being the basis for the film, I assume you are referring to me with your "Very Strange" comment--so he goes my explanation!:

I never said the book was terrible--Anton said that, but let's not direct the "attention" (for want of a better word) onto somebody else. The closest I ever got to saying it was terrible was saying it was "badly written" (note the italicised word for emphasis--there is a difference between a bad book and a badly written book! smile )

So, I said it was badly written because I think it is (my personal opinion). In no way do I think the novel is "terrible," as I for one like many others could not put it down after reading the first page, and finished it within a week! I love the book and would read it again, but it is in no way a fine piece of literature. But if I wanted to read and discuss fine literature, I would've posted a thread on Shakespeare, right!? wink

mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?