GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Toodoped, Jimmy_Two_Times, TheKillingJoke, 2 invisible), 885 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,238
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,523
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,400
Posts1,060,169
Members10,349
Most Online911
4 minutes ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tim Russert [Re: AppleOnYa] #493632
06/16/08 10:33 AM
06/16/08 10:33 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I saw first hand how Tim Russert could absolutely demolish an unprepared candidate. In the 1998 Florida Gubenatorial election Russert came down here to moderate a debate between Governor Jeb Bush and his deomcratic opponent Bill McBride.
McBride was then the head of the State's largest law firm and was thought to be an intelligent, middle of the road alternative. What we didn't know until after the campaign was that McBride was so lazy he demanded to sleep in his iown ben in Tampa EVERY NIGHT, and get 8 hours of sleep regardless of how late he got home.

He made the usual democratic promises to provide all kinds of benefits for everyone without raising taxes and got a free pass with the press. In the debate he gave Russert a landry list of things that were wrong with Florida (all of them true) like worst per capita spending per studenton education, 49th in the country on teacher pay, massive numbers of uninsured, etc. Russert then asked him what was he going to do about it, and McBride spouted off a list of things he would do, all of which required increased spending. Russert then moved in for the kill. Showing a knowledge of Florida that few Floridians have, Russert did a quick analysis of the revenue stream of the state, its fixed obligations, its need to fund the retirement of X number of state employees scheduled to retire in the next five years, the state of the highways, etc ., "How will you pay for all this without raising taxes."
McBride literally did a Ralph Kramden "hamanahamanahamumana" before he made some vague comment about how he would cut waste from the budget. Russert then asked McBride to name three areas of the budget he would cut, and McBride said he wouldn't know that until he got in office. Russert then leaned in and
said "have you read this fiscal year's state budget?" McBride dodged and said it would be "different" when he got in office. Russert then reached down and waved some papers at him and said "here's a copy of your state's budget for this year. I've read it. Can you show me where the waste is?
The campaign was effectively over that night. A year later McBride was booted from the law firm he headed.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tim Russert [Re: dontomasso] #493705
06/16/08 03:22 PM
06/16/08 03:22 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
This is from my university's website, where as I mentioned earlier, Tim Russert graduated from law school:

CSU Mourns Loss of Tim Russert, Distinguished Alumnus

Did anybody see Luke Russert on the Today Show this morning? That was very tough to watch.

Re: Tim Russert [Re: goombah] #493736
06/16/08 04:21 PM
06/16/08 04:21 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
I really don't think 58 is that bad of an age to die at. I'd find myself more than lucky and gracious just to make it to 58. Either that, or I'd be sick of it all already.

I just think people seem to be more concerned with living a long life than living a happy life, and I'm already happy. I could die tonight, and I'd be fine with it. None of it really matters in the long run, anyway.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Tim Russert [Re: goombah] #493764
06/16/08 06:28 PM
06/16/08 06:28 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: goombah
Did anybody see Luke Russert on the Today Show this morning? That was very tough to watch.

I didn't see the show but I watched the video of Luke. And he seems to be holding up pretty well don't ya think?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Tim Russert [Re: Mignon] #493830
06/16/08 11:49 PM
06/16/08 11:49 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I was lucky enough to see Luke Russert's extremely gracious interview with Matt Lauer this morning. I agree Mig, that even though this was prior to all the 'official' ceremonial stuff (wake/funeral)...he does at this point appear to be doing extremely well. It's obvious his parents raised him well.

I was especially impressed at two things Luke said, one being that his mother was going through a 'tough time' but that they would get through it ok. That made it clear he was going to stand by her through every moment of this and for a long time afterwards.

Also when he spoke about his father's 'Meet The Press' chair, how he had made the decision he was going to keep it forever and that '...that's MY chair now...' with such determination.

I think as always, Luke's dad would've been very proud of his appearance on 'Today'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tim Russert [Re: Mignon] #493852
06/17/08 08:29 AM
06/17/08 08:29 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Mignon
Originally Posted By: goombah

I didn't see the show but I watched the video of Luke. And he seems to be holding up pretty well don't ya think?

Seems like a great kid. Too bad with all that education he doesn't know when to say "me" instead of "I."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tim Russert [Re: dontomasso] #493855
06/17/08 08:41 AM
06/17/08 08:41 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I only saw tidbits of the interview, but I give him credit. I wouldn't be able to go before any audience, let alone anyone, without breaking down (so soon after the death of a loved one). I'd be an emotional wreck. frown I just wouldn't be able to control it. From what I saw, he sure seemed together, considering what he must be going through. Seems like a nice kid.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull