Haven't consumers always paid more and more for basic necessities? When has more and more not happened?

My property taxes are not out of control (by the way, that's another undefined term). In fact, my local school district property taxes decreased last year thanks to State legislation. The municipal property taxes I pay are just $0.62 per $100 of valuation. County property taxes are just $0.25 per $100 of valuation. My natural gas bill for last month was $27; my combined electric, water, sewer, and solid waste bill last month was $136 and last summer never exceed $300 (and I have a swimming pool, and a sprinkler system). The valuation of my house has actually increased. There is one tollroad in the area, but I never drive on it.

The increase in gasoline prices has been discussed extensively on this Board. At what price is gasoline supposed to be sold? Food prices skyrocketed? Some have; not all by any means. We can afford not to, but we buy cheaper store brand goods. Costco competes for wholesale goods as any business does. What's unusual about that? Increases in default rates? As I stated above, 95% of homeowners are not in default.

Why in the world are paychecks and salaries supposed to be pegged to increases in any price(s)? Aren't they pegged to competition for the position, performance in the position, and value to the employer? Yes, they are.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."