Mondale was a terrible candidate, Dukakis was even worse. Bush Sr. was not that great a politician, so when Clinton came on the scene he looked brilliant. He WAS the best living politician in America, but now that title belongs to Obama, even if he loses the general election. That's one of the reasons imho Bill was continuously fliying into rages as he saw himself become increasingly irrelvant.

As for the Veep, I thin Obama is in a real pickle. I don't see him taking the Gov. of
Arizona cause that's McCain's home state, and it is probably out of reach. I believe Richardson is overrated in terms of delivering the so called Hispanic vote. My thought is McCain will take Romney putting mIchigan into play. Webb is a good choice because he brings military and foreign policy chops to the ticket, but he barely won Virginia, and he doesn't do much more than deliver Virginia, where the demographics are changing enough for Obama to have a chance regardless. My guess is he picks either Gov Rendell of Pennsylvania, who would help him hold Pa, possibly win Ohio and also mollify the Jewish voters, who would put Florida back in lay if they all came out to vote (and if the elections commission allows blacks here to vote). His other choice would be Gov. Strickland of Ohio. He could bring in the so called working class whites with whom Obama has trouble connecting and also probaly carry Ohio which is probably a must win state.

I saw an online electoral vote poll that is about 3 weeks old which shows McCain leads in states totaling 269 electoral votes. If that holds Obama would have to win every remaining undecided state.

I think this is going to be a close election, and would be interested to see what the odds are that it will end up in an electoral vote tie and go to the House of Repreeentatives.

P.S. PB, I totally agree with you and I also always though Lieberman was a weasel.
"So Al Gore gave his loyalty to a Jew over his own blood"
"Ahhh come on Frankie, you know Al Gore did business with Joe Lieberman, Al Gore respected Joe Lieberman."
"
Al Gore worked with Joe Lieberman, Al Gore respected Joe Lieberman, but Al Gore never
never trusted Joe Lieberman, or his Arizona messenger boy John McCain!"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."