Check out the GOODFELLAS reference in today's Daily News Yankee article.

Yankees hit rock bottom

Well, so much for Alex Rodriguez’s return to the Yanks sparking success for the team. As Ray Liotta said in “GoodFellas,” this is the bad time.

Just when you think the Yankees can’t sink any lower, they do. It’s like when Dylan on “Beverly Hills, 90210” would hit rock bottom every week.

It was such an awful night, what with Mike Mussina stinking up the joint and Derek Jeter getting hurt, that I couldn’t even enjoy Tom Glavine spanking the Mets!

Things are so bad for the Bombers that even Hank Steinbrenner has been rendered speechless, and had the Yankee manager upset in the postgame:

“That’s as ugly as it’s been,” manager Joe Girardi said. “I’m hoping this is rock bottom.”

I had other plans last night, so I didn’t get to see most of the game. Thank goodness for small favors.

My brother teased me that I jinxed Mussina by praising him in yesterday’s Squawk. He also said that when you pin your hopes on Mussina, they’re going to be dashed. Sad but true. And all it took was an error in the infield for Moose to get distracted and fall apart.

On the bright side, I did like what LaTroy Hawkins did last night, in retaliation for Jeter getting knocked out of the game, and at least A-Rod looks like he’s healthy again. Oh, and it looks like Derek is going to be okay. But that’s about the only good things I can say about last night’s game.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.