GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 326 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,417
Posts1,060,582
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #486792
05/02/08 10:48 PM
05/02/08 10:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Ice
I'm not watching, but I notice that TCM is showing The Bells of St. Mary's for the nth-teen time. It's a fine movie and all, but I'll bet it's been shown more than 5 times over the past year, whereas I can't recall seeing flicks like Rebel Without A Cause, East of Eden or Giant but maybe once each for the past 2 or 3 yrs.

Ratings.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #486926
05/04/08 10:49 AM
05/04/08 10:49 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: Ice
...I can't recall seeing flicks like Rebel Without A Cause, East of Eden or Giant but maybe once each for the past 2 or 3 yrs.

Ice,

TCM website has a link where you can lookup a particular film and see when it will next be shown. They also have a place where viewers can mention films they would like to be shown.

http://www.tcm.com/suggestamovie/index/

I don't visit it and have only used it once (to suggest 'A Night to Remember); also I don't know if it would do much in terms of getting your favorites on...but what have you got to lose!!!

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 05/04/08 10:51 AM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: AppleOnYa] #486929
05/04/08 11:54 AM
05/04/08 11:54 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
There's a link on MSN to a site that essentially states that many classic movies are over rated such as GWTW and Easy Rider. Surf on over.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: olivant] #487810
05/11/08 10:52 AM
05/11/08 10:52 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: olivant
There's a link on MSN to a site that essentially states that many classic movies are over rated such as GWTW and Easy Rider. Surf on over.

SLATE Magazine?

I mean, the only rag I know of who thinks they're cutting edge and different by calling THE SEARCHERS and BLADE RUNNER overrated.

Or, basically the CHUD website if they ever want to sterilize themselves of the geekism.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #488016
05/13/08 12:26 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

TRAPEZE (1956) - ***1/2

I never knew until yesterday that before getting into acting, the great Burt Lancaster was a circus acrobat. Not to be stereotypical, but swinging around in mid-air wearing tights would be the last thing I would have expected from a New York Irishman that once was described as "shaving with a blowtorch."

With his movie stardom at its peak in the mid-1950s, Lancaster became a producer as well, and TRAPEZE was among his first productions. Now Stars have always wielded their power to get pictures financed based off their niche hobbies, but Lancaster's love for the art of the flying trapeze actually isn't misplaced, and TRAPEZE is a surprisingly good movie.

There is a certian glee when an actor actually do their own stunts, or in this case, Lancaster himself performing a considerable number of flips, swings, and rope grappling high above in an arena, much of which without the movie cutting away. Now that's just awesome. Though I actually got distracted at times with TRAPEZE when the other two high-flyer actors obviously used stunt doubles and trick editing for those big top scenes.

Anyway, Lancaster in TRAPEZE is a world-class acrobat "flyer" forced into retirement by a nasty injury (much like Lancaster in real-life), and spends the rest of his day as a stagehand at a Paris circus. A much younger Tony Curtis shows up, traveling all the way from Brooklyn to get this legend to help train him into pulling off the greatest of acrobatic feats, the vaunted and ultra-risky Triple Somersault, of which only 6 men have ever pulled off, including Lancaster.

The very beautiful, and thick accented, Gina Lollobrigida politicks this side of Shawn Michaels into their trapeze act, and thus everything is threatened by the obligatory love triangle.

Now you read that plotline and you think, you've seen this before, and you think you know how this movie will play out...but that is where TRAPEZE tricks you. You expect alot of contrived bullshit and screentime about the mentor playing hard to get with the student, but no they immediately hit off in their initial scene.

When an old flame of Lancaster's returns to the circus with her jackass of a French hubbie, you assume she'll leave him ultimately for Burt. She's definately tempted, but she chooses instead to stay with her horses.

Lancaster indulges in an affair with Loolobrigida not because he realizes Curtis might be tapping some good ass, but initially because he wants to keep the kid away from the woman that is distracting him from the Triple Somersault.

Then with the film's ending, there seems to be a glimmer of hope for reconciliation between this tri-party...but its not to be.

I think credit for making TRAPEZE much better than it should have been considering its generic plot must go to director Carol Reed, the helmer of the legendary masterpiece THE THIRD MAN, and Lancaster. There are so many moments in the picture when they could have simply jobbed out an easy audience-pleasing exit for any of the characters, or go on automatic drive with the storyline.

Instead, they tried very much to craft a tale about the politics behind not just the circus, but of the entertainment industry itself, and the age-old feud between the quest for artistic purity and making more money. TRAPEZE doesn't defy the Gods nor shake the pillars of the cinema heavens, but its a well-told tale using a truckload of cliches, and giving several of them a different fresh spin.

You know, this is why I love the cable channel Turner Classic Movies, or TCM. They don't just play the classics or the favorites, but these little good forgotten gems, some of which like TRAPEZE aren't even on DVD in America...in spite of that particular title being one of the biggest hits of 1956.

Why MGM has alot of crap on DVD, but not this? Someone over there should be forced to fly without a safety net.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #488017
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

TRAPEZE (1956) - ***1/2

I never knew until yesterday that before getting into acting, the great Burt Lancaster was a circus acrobat. Not to be stereotypical, but swinging around in mid-air wearing tights would be the last thing I would have expected from a New York Irishman that once was described as "shaving with a blowtorch."

With his movie stardom at its peak in the mid-1950s, Lancaster became a producer as well, and TRAPEZE was among his first productions. Now Stars have always wielded their power to get pictures financed based off their niche hobbies, but Lancaster's love for the art of the flying trapeze actually isn't misplaced, and TRAPEZE is a surprisingly good movie.

There is a certian glee when an actor actually do their own stunts, or in this case, Lancaster himself performing a considerable number of flips, swings, and rope grappling high above in an arena, much of which without the movie cutting away. Now that's just awesome. Though I actually got distracted at times with TRAPEZE when the other two high-flyer actors obviously used stunt doubles and trick editing for those big top scenes.

Anyway, Lancaster in TRAPEZE is a world-class acrobat "flyer" forced into retirement by a nasty injury (much like Lancaster in real-life), and spends the rest of his day as a stagehand at a Paris circus. A much younger Tony Curtis shows up, traveling all the way from Brooklyn to get this legend to help train him into pulling off the greatest of acrobatic feats, the vaunted and ultra-risky Triple Somersault, of which only 6 men have ever pulled off, including Lancaster.

The very beautiful, and thick accented, Gina Lollobrigida politicks this side of Shawn Michaels into their trapeze act, and thus everything is threatened by the obligatory love triangle.

Now you read that plotline and you think, you've seen this before, and you think you know how this movie will play out...but that is where TRAPEZE tricks you. You expect alot of contrived bullshit and screentime about the mentor playing hard to get with the student, but no they immediately hit off in their initial scene.

When an old flame of Lancaster's returns to the circus with her jackass of a French hubbie, you assume she'll leave him ultimately for Burt. She's definately tempted, but she chooses instead to stay with her horses.

Lancaster indulges in an affair with Loolobrigida not because he realizes Curtis might be tapping some good ass, but initially because he wants to keep the kid away from the woman that is distracting him from the Triple Somersault.

Then with the film's ending, there seems to be a glimmer of hope for reconciliation between this tri-party...but its not to be.

I think credit for making TRAPEZE much better than it should have been considering its generic plot must go to director Carol Reed, the helmer of the legendary masterpiece THE THIRD MAN, and Lancaster. There are so many moments in the picture when they could have simply jobbed out an easy audience-pleasing exit for any of the characters, or go on automatic drive with the storyline.

Instead, they tried very much to craft a tale about the politics behind not just the circus, but of the entertainment industry itself, and the age-old feud between the quest for artistic purity and making more money. TRAPEZE doesn't defy the Gods nor shake the pillars of the cinema heavens, but its a well-told tale using a truckload of cliches, and giving several of them a different fresh spin.

You know, this is why I love the cable channel Turner Classic Movies, or TCM. They don't just play the classics or the favorites, but these little good forgotten gems, some of which like TRAPEZE aren't even on DVD in America...in spite of that particular title being one of the biggest hits of 1956.

Why MGM has alot of crap on DVD, but not this? Someone over there should be forced to fly without a safety net.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #488027
05/13/08 04:08 AM
05/13/08 04:08 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Good writeup, rrA. "Trapeze" was a very decent movie and Lancaster was a great star.

If you ever want to see a real (little-known) gem of his, check out "The Rose Tattoo". Its from the same period as "Trapeze" and its absolutely hilarious. I first saw it in a college class and fell in love with the movie.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488095
05/13/08 11:09 AM
05/13/08 11:09 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: SC
Good writeup, rrA. "Trapeze" was a very decent movie and Lancaster was a great star.

If you ever want to see a real (little-known) gem of his, check out "The Rose Tattoo". Its from the same period as "Trapeze" and its absolutely hilarious. I first saw it in a college class and fell in love with the movie.

Well, thanks for the nice words, and thanks for the recommendation on THE ROSE TATTOO.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #488520
05/16/08 04:55 AM
05/16/08 04:55 AM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is an Oscar-nominated 1958 film made by MGM and directed by Richard Brooks. It was based on the Tony-nominated play of the same name by Tennessee Williams.

The film stars Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Burl Ives, Jack Carson, Judith Anderson and Madeleine Sherwood. The movie was adapted by Richard Brooks and James Poe, and directed by Brooks.

It was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role, (Paul Newman), Best Actress in a Leading Role, (Elizabeth Taylor), Best Cinematography, Color, Best Director, Best Picture and Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium.

Bowing to the tenor of the times, suggestion of Brick's homosexuality and the circumstances of Skipper's suicide were toned down. Tennessee Williams detested this bowdlerized adaptation of the play, and advised people not to see it.

Elizabeth Taylor proceeded with filming even though her husband Michael Todd was killed in a plane crash a little over a week into shooting.

Plot Synopsis: Wealthy Mississippi plantation owner Big Daddy Pollitt, unaware that he's dying of cancer and disturbed by the strained and childless marriage of his favored alcoholic son Brick and his other son, Gooper, whose wife is about to bring forth another in the endless line of little "no-neck monsters," celebrates his sixty-fifth birthday with his family. Brick's wife, Maggie, beautiful and desirable, tries unsuccessfully to coax her husband away from the bottle, while alternately enticing him and taunting him about his obsession with his deceased best friend and the guilt about their relationship. The seamy tensions reach a climax when the truth of Big Daddy's health is revealed, and he and Brick manage to resolve their differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_on_a_Hot_Tin_Roof_%28film%29
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051459/trivia

Brick, the former football star turned alcoholic, is the portrayal of wounded masculinity -- poor Maggie has to listen to snickering from his sister-in-law about the two's lack of any offspring or an heir. Of course an important element in Southern culture at this time.

The scene in the basement between Brick and Big Daddy is one of my favorites. But the best, and perhaps the most climactic scene of the film is when Brick, in the presence of Big Daddy, (who serves a moderator of sorts for the couple in between he and Brick's own roaring exchanges) angrily accuses Maggie of having gotten his best friend Skipper drunk to sleep with him and demands to know what happened the night that Skipper committed suicide.

Brick and Maggie's tumultuous relationship--a result of his drinking, lack of sexual desire (i.e failure to produce an heir) and her alleged infidelity and jealously involving his best friend--is made even more emotional and fiery for the audience b/c in the backdrop there is the death of Taylor's real life husband. And perhaps no other actor/actress in history has experienced or been connected with more tragedy than Elizabeth Taylor. This is certainly one of her more powerful and captivating performances, perhaps motivated and enhanced by the sadness and sense of loss she was feeling at the time....Just powerful, powerful acting in this film by all involved. uhwhat

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (Trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbTQPkrHuHs

Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman
in a scene from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #488521
05/16/08 05:28 AM
05/16/08 05:28 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
"Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" is my favorite Paul Newman movie and PROBABLY his best role. Its a tremendous character study of family relationships and of emotional pain and the acting is peerless by the entire cast.

If I had to sum the movie up in one word, I'd use "powerful", and I'd HIGHLY recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a GREAT drama.

Burl Ives is wonderful and the scene with him and Newman in the basement is among the best I've EVER watched.

DEFINITELY 4 stars!!!!

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488673
05/17/08 09:04 AM
05/17/08 09:04 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
TIS, A DVR ALERT for you.... Tonight on TCM at 10:00 (EDT) is "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad"!!

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488720
05/17/08 04:33 PM
05/17/08 04:33 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
TIS, A DVR ALERT for you.... Tonight on TCM at 10:00 (EDT) is "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad"!!

Ha ha!! Aren't you sweet SC. Thanks dear, but I purchased it a few months ago. tongue I may still watch it though. I know it's so dated, and the special effects aren't anywhere what they are today, but something about that movie I just love, including the monsters and giant birds, and whatnot. It's fun! smile

When that movie came out, when I was a kid, I always always begged my sister to go see it with me. She hates any kind of Sci/Fi, horror, monster type movie - anything with imagination.) lol When Sinbad came out at a local theater they'd tend to go the the "cheaper" theaters several times a year after that. I'd get her to go with me almost every time. lol Although, back then there was always double features and if there was a decent second movie that helped.

When I was in MI for Thanksgiving (not in March) I called and told her I had a very special surprise that was for her and I to share. When I got there I had a little gift for everyone and before I gave her her "real" gift I pulled out "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" and she about died. She says, " Are you kidding me? I can't believe you actually bought that stupid movie. Funny thing is, her husband wanted to see it, so once again she sat and watched Sinbad that evening. LMAO lol

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488758
05/17/08 09:56 PM
05/17/08 09:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Several other overlooked but excellent Lancaster roles / movies :

Come Back Little Sheba

Elmer Gantry (A star studded filled supporting cast)

The Swimmer

The Rainmaker (original)

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #488760
05/17/08 09:59 PM
05/17/08 09:59 PM
California

California
Does anybody know what film this is from? wink

I'm more or less testing to see if I can post an image, since I haven't been able to until now.
Anyway, I haven't seen this movie in years and years.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #488762
05/17/08 10:02 PM
05/17/08 10:02 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Image is NOT coming up TIS.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Don Cardi] #488763
05/17/08 10:03 PM
05/17/08 10:03 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
DC, No mention of Lancaster in "Field of Dreams"?? eek

I think your mind's gone soft from all that comedy you play with that new job. tongue

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #488765
05/17/08 10:04 PM
05/17/08 10:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Does anybody know what film this is from? I'm more or less testing to see if I can post an image, since I haven't been able to until now. Anyway, I haven't seen this movie in years and years.

Looks like "The DVD Movie". rolleyes

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488768
05/17/08 10:15 PM
05/17/08 10:15 PM
California

California
You guys aren't sseing it? confused I see it clear as a bell. Hmmmmmmm

TIS

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #488770
05/17/08 10:18 PM
05/17/08 10:18 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I tried going to the address of the picture you posted and could only get the same "block" that says DVDMOVIE.

Try to post a link to the site that the picture came from.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488771
05/17/08 10:19 PM
05/17/08 10:19 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
DC, No mention of Lancaster in "Field of Dreams"?? eek

He was in Field Of Dreams? whistle

Don Cardi cool

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488773
05/17/08 10:22 PM
05/17/08 10:22 PM
California

California
I tried going to the address of the picture you posted and could only get the same "block" that says DVDMOVIE.

Try to post a link to the site that the picture came from.

Thanks, that's ok, wasn't important. I was more or less testing. It obviously doesn't work. ohwell

TIS

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #488780
05/17/08 10:54 PM
05/17/08 10:54 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Thanks, that's ok, wasn't important. I was more or less testing. It obviously doesn't work.

Yeah, but now I'm curious about what the picture is from.

Dunno why you're having problems with posting pix.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #488782
05/17/08 10:57 PM
05/17/08 10:57 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
All those spider's must've done something to TIS' puter.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Mignon] #488783
05/17/08 10:59 PM
05/17/08 10:59 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Mignon
All those spider's must've done something to TIS' puter.

She's supposed to be posting on the worldwide web, not the spider's web.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Don Cardi] #488818
05/18/08 10:45 AM
05/18/08 10:45 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Several other overlooked but excellent Lancaster roles / movies :

Come Back Little Sheba
Elmer Gantry (A star studded filled supporting cast)
The Swimmer
The Rainmaker (original)

'The Rose Tatoo' is a terrific movie, most known for it's other star, Anna Magnani earning the Best Actress Oscar for her role. However Lancaster was also a absolute BLAST and the two complimented each other beautifully. I haven't seen the film in a very long time but would love to if it every comes around again.

Same thing for 'Come Back Little Sheba', in which again Lancaster's leading lady (Shirley Booth) won the Oscar.

I saw 'The Swimmer' quite by accident one night on the 'Late Late Show' they used to have some 30 years ago. Really obscure movie but pretty interesting thanks to Lancaster and it really made an impression.

I really appreciate Burt Lancaster more & more with each film of his I see. I think one of his other best roles is as one of the judges on trial in 'Judgement At Nuremberg' (one of my favorite movies). Especially his long statement near end of the film and that final scene w/ Spencer Tracy.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: AppleOnYa] #489016
05/19/08 10:09 PM
05/19/08 10:09 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa

I really appreciate Burt Lancaster more & more with each film of his I see. I think one of his other best roles is as one of the judges on trial in 'Judgement At Nuremberg' (one of my favorite movies). Especially his long statement near end of the film and that final scene w/ Spencer Tracy.

Apple

Through NETFLIX, I rewatched one of his big hit movies that's still as damn good as I remembered ten years ago.

I won't name the title until my review comes out for it, but rest assured, Burt was wise to not even bother with a French accent. grin

Speaking of which Appleonya, since you're a Conservative and all, I'm surprised you haven't really gotten into John Milius.

I read this recent report about a certain major generation of Hollywood actors being Republican-ideologues, and I can't believe it simply because why then has Milius not been able to shoot a picture in over a decade?

I mean look at his quality filmography where he either scripted or/and directed: THE WIND & THE LION, APOCALYPSE NOW, JEREMIAH JOHNSON, RED DAWN, CONAN THE BARBARIAN, THE BIG WEDNESDAY, DILLINGER, THE ROUGH RIDERS, GERONOMO, you name it.

I may not agree with alot of Milius' ideology, but damn he sure was involved with alot of good movies.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 05/19/08 10:15 PM.
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #489193
05/20/08 05:33 PM
05/20/08 05:33 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I just watched The Man Who Knew Too Much for the first time...

It's the 100th birthday celebration for James Stewart!

TCM PRIME TIME FEATURE: JAMES STEWART'S 100TH BIRTHDAY

Vertigo (1958)
5:45pm [Suspense/Mystery]
A detective falls for the mysterious woman he's been hired to tail.
Cast: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes.
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. C-130 mins, TV-PG

Rear Window (1954)
8:00pm [Suspense/Mystery]
A photographer with a broken leg uncovers a murder while spying on the neighbors in a nearby apartment building.
Cast: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Raymond Burr.
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. C-114 mins, TV-PG

Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The (1962)
10:00pm [Western]
An experienced gunman and a peace-loving tenderfoot clash with a Western bully.
Cast: John Wayne, James Stewart, Lee Marvin.
Dir: John Ford. BW-123 mins, TV-14

Anatomy Of A Murder (1959)
12:15am [Drama]
A small-town lawyer gets the case of a lifetime when a military man avenges an attack on his wife.
Cast: James Stewart, Ben Gazzara, Lee Remick.
Dir: Otto Preminger. BW-161 mins, TV-PG

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
3:00am [Drama]
An idealistic Senate replacement takes on political corruption.
Cast: James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Claude Rains.
Dir: Frank Capra. BW-130 mins, TV-G

Last edited by ginaitaliangirl; 05/20/08 06:49 PM. Reason: Movie Info
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #489321
05/21/08 03:02 PM
05/21/08 03:02 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Stewart is one of my favorite actors.

I caught the end of "Anatomy of a Murder" last night and was reminded of what a stylish, well-made movie it is. (Lee Remick at her hottest!)

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is one of the best westerns ever made. John Wayne at his macho best!!

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #489347
05/21/08 08:22 PM
05/21/08 08:22 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
...Speaking of which Appleonya, since you're a Conservative and all, I'm surprised you haven't really gotten into John Milius...I mean look at his quality filmography where he either scripted or/and directed: THE WIND & THE LION, APOCALYPSE NOW, JEREMIAH JOHNSON, RED DAWN, CONAN THE BARBARIAN, THE BIG WEDNESDAY, DILLINGER, THE ROUGH RIDERS, GERONOMO, you name it....

Never heard of him and what's more, I've never seen any of the films of his that you mention. I'm familiar w/ the titles, they're just not my type of movie.

rolleyes

When I watch a film and admire a favorite director or star, or for that matter listen to a favorite singer...the LAST thing I'm thinking about is their politics and whether or not they agree with mine.

If that were the case, I'd have thrown away every Barbra Streisand album/cd I've ever owned.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: AppleOnYa] #489863
05/25/08 09:08 PM
05/25/08 09:08 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

"On the town" with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly is currently on. A movie with Frank about New York. What could be better. smile

"Who you got waiting for you in New York, Ava Gardner"? I'm sure Frank appreciated that line.

Last edited by Beth E; 05/25/08 09:11 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull