Originally Posted By: Partagas
Is there any difference betwen voting against someone becasue they are black and voting for someone because they are black?

Good question. In a perfect world it would be equaly wrong to vote for or against someone based on race, religion, ethnicity, etc., but the fact is when certain groups have never been in power, or have been disenfranchised for a long time, then there is some aregument to be made for voting for one of "your own." This was true in 1960 when many Catholics voted for JFK because he was to be the first Catholic president ever. I also think this happened in 1976 when Jimmy Carter was the first true southerner since the civil war to be elected. He carried many Southerns states which have gone to the GOP before or since. Also in 2000 I think Gore picked Lieberman to get the Jewish vote, especially in Fla...and of course we know how THAT turned out. I woud add, that it should be a one time phenomenon. If Barack should win, then in the future no black should vote for someone of his or her own race for that reason.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."