Smitty, did you ever try the patch? I just received my free two-weeks supply, courtesy of New York's quit-smoking program.

I've only been wearing it for a few hours so far, but a few observations; I am able to watch television without wanting to smoke a cigarette everytime I see someone else light up... Also, I am able to sit still without feeling antsy, just waiting for the effects of my last cigarette to wear off so I can go out and have another. I was a little reluctant to put it on, wanting to just go out and buy one last pack and enjoy it before putting my first patch on, but that idea went out the window within an hour of applying the patch.

I'll admit, there is still a slight urge to go out and smoke a cigarette, but it's pretty easy to ignore. I'm assuming that will all go away once I've been wearing the patch for a while.

It sure beats the hell out of cold turkey. I can't do cold turkey as it is... I can't imagine trying to quit without an aid like the patch if I had been smoking as long as some of the older smokers here who have been smoking for 10+ years.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."