Originally Posted By: J Geoff
 Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
*=He called BLADE RUNNER "rubbish" and thought RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK was meh. What The Fuck?

WHAT???! Capo, don't make me start agreeing with RedRocket here... is this true?? \:o

Blade Runner is one of my favorite films of all time!! WHAT??

Raiders, sure, it's fun, but whatever... but Blade Runner??? \:\/

Granted, I don't know which version you've seen. And a while ago I got the DVD set with "all" the versions on it, but, haven't yet watched it. But in any event... please provide a link to your review!

Anyway...

Not to be a snitch, but here is what Capo wrote at the FCM joint:

"'Twas the 1992 director's cut. I must say: very unimpressed. I thought it was a load of bullshit, to be honest. I'm not convinced that intelligence can exist independent of emotions. Computers that lack human emotions in cinema seem gifted at sarcasm and teasingly light-hearted wit (are these not human emotions?). Result: "human emotions = able to fall in love".

I found some of it (dialogue, slow-motion, that forced feeling of grandeur) quite risible; it looks beautiful, though, and I love the music too. Also like the surreal pace and lengthy bouts of non-action, but the narrative shifts to the droids were dull and problematic.

Dunno, perhaps it caught me in the wrong mood, or I caught the wrong cut (I'm pretty sure I'd seen the theatrical cut previously, but it's so long ago now I don't remember). You guys wanna convince me otherwise? I can't really articulate why I found it quite as pompous as I did, so I thought I'd just throw some criticisms out there for y'all to chew on."

BLADE RUNNER is a polarizing picture. Either you're in deep bloom love with it, or you fucking want to burn the negative. No real middle-ground.

Last night it was Johnny Depp in Nick of Time (1995) -- a film I hadn't heard of, with Christopher Walken, no less. Not terrible. Not great. But seemed to be like a TV Movie. Forgettable, but, worth the watch if you like thrillers (I do!), or JD...

NICK OF TIME is a decent thriller, though we must remember...that was one of his first major leading gigs outside of 21 JUMP STREET or Tim Burton. Watchable it is, but that's it.

[
Tonight was Samuel L. Jackson in One Eight Seven (1997) -- not the strongest urban high school stories I've seen, but -- okay, let's face it, a copycat (even as predecessor) of a few greats. This was all right, I guess. (It was no Lean on Me (1989) or anything -- but I saw the same vibe coming) -- but attempting to be, and failing to come thru as, a thriller.
[/quote]

I didn't like 187 at all. I felt it was a pissy angry story written by one fucking disgruntled teacher who saw DEER HUNTER one too many times. Hell, only thing I remembered regarding that movie was that movie's bold disclaimer at the credits: "This movie was written by a teacher."

As if that excuses for mediocrity.