I disagree, Turnbull, about the comparison to McGovern. Unlike that election, the Democrats are not running against an incumbent president. It's been well documented the lengths to which Nixon went to discredit anybody and everybody who was trying to take his place. Nixon wanted the weakest possible opponent (and did not want to run against a third Kennedy) and got his wish with McGovern, who was as weak a candidate as Dukakis or Mondale.

The other aspect which I think this election is different lies with the fact that Obama has the ability to reach across party lines and certainly toward independents. I agree with you that McGovern did not do that in the '72 election. McCain has demonstrated this same ability and for a longer time than Obama, but Clinton cannot come close to reaching across party lines as McCain & Obama do. At the end of the day, people will fundamentally be choosing between more of the same (McCain) policies of the past 8 years or an alternative direction (Obama).

Regarding the fundraising, McCain is much more apt to pick up big donors, who contribute in the thousands. Obama has, and I believe will continue to, get the working and middle class donations. I feel that Obama has demonstrated more fundraising appeal to the Joe Averages out there than either Hillary or McCain. McCain will reaching out to the same big corporate donors and lobbyists that Bush received.