Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Hopefully it's not as lucky as winning the Super Lotto... Are there odds? Who can we bribe to make sure you stay? Of course that's assuming you want to stay. Maybe I'm confused and it's really a lottery to determine who has to remain banished?

Every year 20000 new working visas are given for people who have graduated with a Masters or phD from US universities. And 65000 working visas for all others. Last year was the first time the 65000 quota received more applications (in fact almost twice) and they had to pick people using a lottery. This year, even the 20000 quota has received more than that number. They aren't saying how many, but it will be a lottery. Since I have done my masters degree here in US and a company is willing to sponsor my visa, I come under that 20K limit. I hope there aren't more than 30K graduates this year. I will know only when they announce it. The odds of making it should not be too bad, but again who knows!

Quote:

What are your goals svsg?

Haha, this is a scary question. I never have a good answer for this. I'll be working in my field and as I said in FCM, I'll pursue a film degree part time, provided I am allowed to stay here.
 Quote:

Are you hoping to stay here permanently?

I don't know. Everyday life in US is way more comfortable than in India. My phone always works, there is power throughout the day, fuel is cheap, no scarcity of water, roads are good, no corruption in everyday life, etc. etc. so many good things to say about US life. But there are bigger things. My parents are back home and old. I don't feel too good leaving them alone there. Moreover with the ever changing global political situation, one can never be sure of.... you know what. And then staying permanently in US is not an easy thing. It will depend heavily on the policies of each government and the vagaries of the INS rules every year. For all you know someone who crossed the border illegally might be given citizenship and the guy who spends years trying to immigrate legally might not be given. So many variables make it truly indeterminate for me now. I may get some clarity next year or so.