Originally Posted By: olivant
[

What in the hell is a racist country? Explain that. Out of the 150 million or so peole that populated America during the memphis garbage strike, how many could you have possibly known? How many could MLK have possibly known? In both cases, a handfull, right? So, how in the world can you maintain that the US is or ever was a racist country?

Well, Olivant, how much time do you have.

Lets start with slavery. Capturing human beings in Africa, forcing them on to boats, moving them across the ocean, breaking up their families, putting them up for sale and forcing them to work without pay as a national policy is in your mind not racist, I guess.

Slavery was not abolished evenin the North until well into the 1800's, by the way, so most of the old infrastructure of this country was built by African slave labor. That is not racist in your mind, I guess.

When they wrote the constitution... our beloved infallible founding fathers decided the way to count population in the various states was to count each slave as being three fifths of a human being. That is not racist in your mind, I guess.

When they wrote the "divinely inspired" bill of rights, they left out slavery, which was not abolished until the middle of the 1800's. That is not racist in your mind, I guess.

In 1896 the United States Supreme Court ruled that a person who had more than one eighth "negro blood" could be forced to ride in a restricted part of a train. That is not racist in your mind, I guess.

In 1942 American citizens, born in this country whose parents came from Japan were sumarily rounded up and placed in concentration camps without lawyers, trials or any other rights. That is not racist in your mind, I guess.

Not until 1954 did the Supreme Court of the United states rule that it was the law of the land that schools could not be segregated (which has since set off a racist based mantra against "activist judges:). That is not racist in your mind I guess.

Not until 1964....could black people stay in hotels of their choosing, go to restaurants of their choosing or even sit next to white people of their choosing as a matter of law. This is not racist in your mind, I guess.

Not until the following year were black people "allowed" to vote freely without government sanctioned poll taxes and other restrictions. That is not racist in your mind I guess.

Taking advantage of the white backlash against civil rights progress, Richard Nixon invented the "Southern Strategy," which has created a reactionary majority in presidential elections in this country since 1968...one of the more recent developments of which was George Bush's famous claim in SOuth Carlina in 2000 that John McCain was unfit to be president because he had an illegitimate black child. A lie that forced McCain to inexplicably defend the confederate flage, for which he later apologized. That is not racist in your mind I guess.

In this presidential primary Hillary Clinton, with her back to the wall, and speaking in thinly disguised code says Barak Obama may be qualified to be president but he is "unelectable." That is not racist in your mind, I guess.

Please Olivant, I think your mind is going soft from all that comedy your'e playing with that young girl.

Racism is America's "Original Sin" and it has yet to be purged.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."