Originally Posted By: dontomasso
First of all this is a tempest in a teapot. There should be no religious test in this country for public office.

Having been raised a Catholic, sent to Catholic Schools through 12th Grade, and having raised my children Catholic I am admittedly somewhat lapsed these days, but if someone asks me whay my religion is, I will say Catholic. SOmeone please Google Father Coughlin from the 30's and see what hate speech he engaged in over the radio. Read the history of Church complicity with the Nazi's and fascists in WWII. IN the pre Vatican II era, when I was a child I was told it was a mortal sin punishable by being sent to hell to attend any church service of any religion that was not Catholic. Look at statements made in the past few election cycles by priests and bishops regarding telling their flocks that it is a sin to vote for anyone who does not oppose abortion. Look at what all those priests did to young boys and how it was covered up. SHould I walk out on the church? Should all Catholics? OF course not.
You take the good with the bad in any religion.

I am not defending what Obama's minister siad, however the loops they are running are sometimes out of context and are rather brief for someone who has been in the pulpit for 30 years.

As for many of his comments about America, consider his age. Read about the garbage collectors strike in Memphis where MLK was murdered and what went on. The fact is the US has been a racist country.

The fact also is that the US is not always in the right. As Martin Luther King himself said, the greatest threat to world peace is the Inited States. Should we disavow his other works for having said this?

What in the hell is a racist country? Explain that. Out of the 150 million or so peole that populated America during the memphis garbage strike, how many could you have possibly known? How many could MLK have possibly known? In both cases, a handfull, right? So, how in the world can you maintain that the US is or ever was a racist country?

Wright's comments in their entirety have been played on several cable shows; they are stated in their entirety on several websites including his own. He does damn the US; he does state that the [federal] government imports and distributes drugs in black communities; he does state that the [federal] government developed AIDS to kill black people. His words are plain and simple. They are not contextual. He could have said any number of things, but he chose to say those things. He did not provide them as an example or as an analogy. He also equates the Romans with Italians without any anthropolgical evidence and without any damn reason for doing so in the first place.

It doesn't matter a damn bit what anyone else does; you are responsible for your words and your actions. And in response to your stupid question: yes, you should walk out on any person who utters such egregious words or engages in such egregious actions. And, in your case, if you can reasonably extrapoltae such words and actions to the Catholic Church, then you should find another church through which to exercise your relationship with your God.

This cafone of a so called reverend condemned my race, condemned my ethnicity, condemned my government, and condemned my nation. He can go to hell for all I care.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."