Well, nothing like a little Fredo-Roth conspiracy talk to start the week..

I think I can visualise perfectly Roth's whole courting process of Fredo. Roth had the ability to present himself as such a nice, caring, sweet old man, and poor little Fredo probably thought he was the real Santa Claus or somethin'. \:\/ I suspect that Roth probably gave Fredo the same song-and-dance that he gave Michael:

ROTH: I consider you my son, my successor. You know how much I loved your fadher, what we will do together will make history -- HISTORY, Fredo. It's (fratricide) never been done before in the mob world. You're smaht, Fredo, not like..dumb. And you want respect.

And then, after Roth's attempt on Mike's life in Tahoe fails..

ROTH: Ok, Freddie. The hit failed so I'll have to move to Plan B. I'm luring your brother to Havana where he'll be easily gunned down by Batista's Presidential Guard. But I need you in Havana to keep me updated on your brother's actions b/c he likely suspects me now and MIGHT be planning to take me out. So, I'm requesting that Micheal bring 2 million as a gift to the Cuban gov't. And that's where you come in, Fredo. You insist that you wanna help, and that you'd like to be the one to transfer the money down there. I could care less about the 2 million, but it's a good way to get you involved. I need you following Mike the whole way, informing me of his every move. Your brother Mike will never see the New Year..

FREDO: And there's still somethin' in it fuh me, right? \:\)

ROTH: Uhm, well, a smaller piece, but ya. We'll discuss that after we get back from Havana.