Originally Posted By: olivant
 Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
 Originally Posted By: olivant
First, learn your terms. Italian can refer to an ethnicity or a nationality. As an Italian-American, I use it as an ethnicity. Africa is a continent. It is neither an ethnicity nor a nationality.

Think about it. I'm an American who is 100% ethnic Italian. Therefore, I am Italian-American. If I choose to classify myself racially, then I am 100% Caucasion-American. In either case, I do not classify myself by continent.

Obama's characterization of himself is racial although he expresses it as continental (African). I do not classify myself as a Europeon-American; it is more correct for him to classify himself as Black-American. However, in either case, he's left out his caucasian genetics which constitutes 50% of his entire racial genetics.

In addition, his father is from Kenya. That's a nation; it is not a continent nor an ethnicity. As I classify myself as an Italian-American, he should more correctly classify himself as a Kenyan-American. However, that still ignores his caucasion genetics.

As I pointed out in a previous post, his daugthers are more black than he is: 50% black from their mother and 25% black from their father. Thus, while Obama is only 50% black, his daughters are 75% black.

You know that there is no such thing as "race," right? There are only ethnicities.

You are confusing with "Nationalities" or something that is cultural-labeled, and not simply something based on the color of your skins or what not. With your argument, "Poles" are a "race"...and they are not.

Italians/Poles/Chinese = Nationalities
Black/Caucasian/Latino = Ethnicities

As for you being obviously bothered by something who considers themselves black instead of white....

Look at me. I'm from south Florida, which is Northern yankee-influenced politics, i.e. Liberals....yet I identify myself with the "South" in East Tennessee. Should you be upset that I feel more connected with my fellow rednecks than Floridians?

Then again, with the recent lousy play of the Dolphins/Panthers/Marlins/Heat....can you blame me for being so embarrased? \:p

Better yet, that my soul is more richly in clique with the "ancient homeland" of say Scotland and Poland, than it is for Ireland and Germany? (Which I am genetically connected to as well.)

Some people pick to identify themselves with a certain tribe than others for different reasons. God knows that doesn't bother me as much as a First Lady using school readings and tea parties at the White House as criteria for "experience."

Now, let's not be stupid. There is nothing in any anthropological source that you can offer that states that Black and Caucasian = Ethnicities. They're races, cafone. Latino is an ethnicity since any anthropological source will tell you that Latinos can be of any race. That's why the US Census Bureau does not classify Latinos as a race. HOWEVER, it does classify blacks and caucasians as races.

And what is this goofy statement by you that according to my reasoning that Poles could be a race. Polish is a nationality and an ethnicity. There is nothing that a logical person could deduce from my statements that Polish constitutes a race.

I take it you never saw TRUE ROMANCE.*

*=And if you all know what scene I'm refering to...yup, that's the final nail that gets me banned. Oh well, it was nice talking and knowing you all for these years. Sweet dreams folks.