Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I read it, SC.

It was okay but a bit vague. The chapter on Frank Lucas was interesting because it lets you know that most of AMERICAN GANGSTER was fictionalized. It reads more like a collection of short non-fiction than a "tell-all."

Still, if you can pick up a copy that's been priced down, it's worth reading. Better yet, if your library has a copy, just borrow it. \:\)

I am close to finishing it this weekend, hopefully. I had heard of some of the bigger names but others were new to me. There was one guy in there called "Preacher" who was like a combination of the worst and most vicious movie gangsters you could imagine-only unfortunately real life. Preacher not only murdered, extorted and robbed some very scary people, he tortured and raped them as well. Real sicko. He frightened other stone killers.

Going a bit further back, nice chapters on Owney Madden, Dutch Schultz, Frank Matthews and Nicky Barnes.

It's worth picking up. I don't know if I'd pay full price but who does pay full price these days.

I finished "The Silent Don". As I didn't know very much about Santo Trafficante at all I was really interested in that story. I think that the author had most of the information I was really interested in in his other book "The Cigar City Mafia" which I haven't read yet. Santo seemingly managed to stay on top with very little muscle and a very amorphous Family structure. He did have a lot of links to other Families. What was intriguing about Santo is how much he stayed out of the spotlight.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.