Originally Posted By: olivant
First, learn your terms. Italian can refer to an ethnicity or a nationality. As an Italian-American, I use it as an ethnicity. Africa is a continent. It is neither an ethnicity nor a nationality.

Think about it. I'm an American who is 100% ethnic Italian. Therefore, I am Italian-American. If I choose to classify myself racially, then I am 100% Caucasion-American. In either case, I do not classify myself by continent.

Obama's characterization of himself is racial although he expresses it as continental (African). I do not classify myself as a Europeon-American; it is more correct for him to classify himself as Black-American. However, in either case, he's left out his caucasian genetics which constitutes 50% of his entire racial genetics.

In addition, his father is from Kenya. That's a nation; it is not a continent nor an ethnicity. As I classify myself as an Italian-American, he should more correctly classify himself as a Kenyan-American. However, that still ignores his caucasion genetics.

As I pointed out in a previous post, his daugthers are more black than he is: 50% black from their mother and 25% black from their father. Thus, while Obama is only 50% black, his daughters are 75% black.

You know that there is no such thing as "race," right? There are only ethnicities.

You are confusing with "Nationalities" or something that is cultural-labeled, and not simply something based on the color of your skins or what not. With your argument, "Poles" are a "race"...and they are not.

Italians/Poles/Chinese = Nationalities
Black/Caucasian/Latino = Ethnicities

As for you being obviously bothered by something who considers themselves black instead of white....

Look at me. I'm from south Florida, which is Northern yankee-influenced politics, i.e. Liberals....yet I identify myself with the "South" in East Tennessee. Should you be upset that I feel more connected with my fellow rednecks than Floridians?

Then again, with the recent lousy play of the Dolphins/Panthers/Marlins/Heat....can you blame me for being so embarrased? \:p

Better yet, that my soul is more richly in clique with the "ancient homeland" of say Scotland and Poland, than it is for Ireland and Germany? (Which I am genetically connected to as well.)

Some people pick to identify themselves with a certain tribe than others for different reasons. God knows that doesn't bother me as much as a First Lady using school readings and tea parties at the White House as criteria for "experience."