Greatest American television series ever made. I'd love to drop "American," but I haven't seen any non-American television drama series yet. I wouldn't even know what U.K., French, Italian, or Candian series that holds that distinction. Anyone have recommendations?

"There aren't intelligent television shows" is a common complaint. Well, The Wire is an extremely intelligent show that at the same time has humor, wit, and action/thrill value. In other words, it's intelligent entertainment; it's not a damn dissertation or thesis.

I'm surprised this show hasn't taken off on this site. It does delve deeply, and I mean deeply, into American and European organized crime - drug war in Baltimore and the international aspect of smuggling. Secondly, I notice quite a few of Law and Order fans here. I see no reason why those fans wouldn't enjoy the police and legal procedural aspects that is a huge part of The Wire.

Part of the attraction of The Godfather, The Sopranos, and other mob movies is that they grant us access to a world that most of us wouldn't have in a million years. The Wire does the same.

As for the series finale, the only other satisfying and great series final I know of is Six Feet Under's.