Originally Posted By: Tony Love
 Originally Posted By: SC
Tattaglia was killed as further payback for Sonny's death (despite the fact that Tattaglia's son was already killed).

Wasn't Barzini responsible for Sonny's death? It's what Carlo stated before he was whacked, that he was confronted by Barzini. Plus the Don said it to, "... it was Barzini all along" after the commission meeting.

Something I don't understand is why would Michael make such a bold move in eliminating the heads of the five families, to move to Nevada? What's the point in that? He had the city, and the cosa nostra, in the palm of his hands. I could understand expanding your influence to Nevada, but moving it entirely?

You have to allow for authorial license. Drama and excitement are the hallmarks of many movies. A gangster epic is expected to be a shootemup (as oposed to the limited eliminations in the novel). In FFC's view, Michael being the premier Don in the country required that he eliminate all rivals. Then too, the war was waged against the Corleones by all the families, not just Barzini and Tattaglia. Also, you have to keep in mind that Mafia families just don't pack up and move. They may expand theirinfluence and operations, but they don't abandon them where they started. Michael intended for the Corleones to be on top in NY (albeit through Clemenza) eternally.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."