Hi!

Originally posted by J Geoff:
I'd be interested in hearing which books [b]Alexander Supalov and joshyz have read and considered better written. (Remember, I said have read wink )[/b]
For starters, "The cruel sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat, and generally everything written by this author: "HMS Marlboro will enter harbour", "Leave cancelled", etc.

Then, everything written by Ray Bradbury, especially his short stories - they are singularly brilliant without exception.

One shouldn't either forget Edgar Allan Poe and Arthur Conan Doyle, who were doing some early research in the relatively close genre of crime story.

Then one recalls assorted bits of Ernest Hamingway, early Erich Maria Remarque, some of Heinrich Boehl, and many other interesting authors of the 20th century.

For a taste of an exceptional historical writing that never fails to entertain one should really have a go of the books written by Winston S. Churchill (yes, that Churchill), starting with his famous history of the Second World War.

For dessert one can proceed to the classic Russian and French literature and disappear there for a very long time just compiling the list of the worthy books I have read.

[Linked Image]

Best regards.

Alexander

You may wish to browse this GF FAQ of mine before putting forward another frequently asked question.