I find its central philosophy problematic as it's presented in the film (at least; I've not read Dick's short, but would like to).

I'm not convinced that intelligence can exist independent of emotion. Computers that lack human emotions in cinema seem gifted at sarcasm and teasingly light-hearted wit (are these not human emotions?). Result: "human emotions = the capacity to fall in love"; nothing more - everything else is fair game.

I found some of it (dialogue, slow-motion, that forced feeling of grandeur) quite risible; it looks beautiful, though, and I love the music too. Also like the surreal pace and lengthy bouts of non-action, but the narrative shifts to the droids were dull and problematic - we watched it as part of my film noir unit, and this film's shifts away from the protagonist's subjective gaze annoyed me.

I do find the existential premise fascinating in itself: what does it mean to be human? But the direct lifts from Descartes ("I think, therefore I am!"), combined with otherwise ellipsis, were far from profound. Does Dick's story lift from Descartes? I know his protagonist has a similar name.

I don't know; I'd be interested in reading a positive reply from you, JG.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?