Sheffield mourns death of Dooley

Derek Dooley, who was involved with both Sheffield United and Wednesday, has died at the age of 78.
Dooley was a legendary football figure in the city and former sports minister Richard Caborn said: "Derek epitomised everything that was good about sport.

"He was the only person I know who brought both Sheffield clubs together. He was respected by both sets of fans."

Dooley played for and managed Wednesday while he worked in several jobs off the field at United.

Dooley started his career with Lincoln before moving to Wednesday in 1947 where he became a prolific goalscorer.

His career finished in tragic fashion in 1953 when he broke his leg in a collision with Preston goalkeeper George Thompson and he eventually had to have the leg amputated.

Dooley became manager at Hillsborough in 1971 before being sacked on Christmas Eve 1973.

He then moved across the city to United where he was taken on as commercial manager and then went on to perform a variety of roles including chairman before retiring in 2006 just after the club had clinched promotion back to the Premiership.

He was awarded the MBE in 2003 and at the time said: "I never believed I would get this honour. I am fiercely proud of being a Sheffield lad. This honour is a bit special for me."

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon