Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
But I still think that Vito failed to see the bigger picture. Even his consigliere advised that the Drug trade would eventually make the other families more money which would make then even more powerful thatn the Corleones somewhere down the road.

Sonny was in it for the $$$. Tom had the foresight to see that they should get into it to retain their power in the future.

Exactly, DC.
Vito correctly assessed that the penalties associated with drug trafficking would eventually be the downfall of the families. Had he taken Sollozzo more seriously, he could have temporarily delayed drug trafficking by having Luca murder Sol and making the other Dons suck it up. But, as the Don of Cleveland said later, there was too much money in drugs to stop the trafficking.
As you said, Tom correctly viewed a simple equation: drugs=profits=police/political protection=Corleones remain on top. But, I'm guessing Vito figured that, while he might be able to control drug trafficking, when he was gone, Sonny's greed and rashness would screw the pooch.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.