Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Olivant,

What do you suppose they mean by, "The redistricting games they’ve played are infamous." Where/why does this frustration come from? Since you are in Texas can you provide a link as you may have access to more of this story?

Also, with all due respect, just looking at that video, yes, it does bring to mind the demonstrations movements of the 60's IMHO.

And dear Part, forgetting Republican or Democrat, it was more the story itself that I was pointing out. I know political games do go both ways. ;\)

TIS

Following the 2000 Federal Census, the Texas Legislature failed to redistrict Congressional seat electoral district boundaries. Therefore, several State judges did it in 2002. That retained a Democratic majority among the State's House represenatives. After the Republicans took control of the Texas Legislature in 2003, Tom Delay and his allies got them to redistrict again and this time they were able to turn 5 formerly Democratic filled seats to Republican seats (Gerrymandering). That's what the article means by redisticting games.

As far as the "60s" visual, I would urge caution. Why? Yesterday I watched a video of Rocky Marciano defeating Joe Lewis on his quest to become boxing's heavyweight champion. Or maybe I was watching this young white guy beat up this older black guy while everyone else stood by and applauded.

The march by those A&M students was a faux demonstration probably based in large part on their ignorance of the Texas Election Code, the voting cycle, and their own responsibilities as part of that cycle.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."