Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I just heard of this story and wish I could find more details, but this is, to me, an indication of a "real" change that I can't quite put my finger on, coming about in our country. \:\) How wonderful that the youth of America is speaking out. Sort of like a 60's flashback. \:p But good for these kids. \:\) Turn on the sound. Mostly chanting I guess, but I think it's inspiring that they are so vocal.

"Texas Republicans have worked overtime to make it harder for key Democratic voting groups to vote and be represented fairly. The redistricting games they’ve played are infamous. And for the Prairie View A&M University precincts, they put the early-polling place more than seven miles from the school.

So what did the students in this video do? They shut down the highway as they marched seven miles to cast their votes on the first day of early voting.
"

TIS

Students Shut Down Highway To Vote

TIS -- with all do respect, if I wanted to vote early, I would have to walk 12 miles to the county seat to get an absentee (or early ballot).

No one is preventing an individual or group from voting in this particular instance. Does traveling the 12 miles make me feel disenfranchised? Not in the least -- I have weeks to make this happen if necesary. If needed to vote absentee (becasue I could not make it our to vote on election day), I have plenty of time to walk, drive my car, ride a horse, catch a bus, get a ride from a friend, etc.... to go vote. And, I would do so as it is important to me. Something as important as voting should not one taken lightly. (I believe I have told the story on the GBB or how my wife and I were living at a camp about 50 miles from our house and drove back on election day and our candidate won her primary race for state legislature by 2 votes [my wife and my vote]?)

Anyway - just my thoughts.