Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Requiem for a Dream (2000) - (out of four)
-After now seeing Pi and Requiem for a Dream I have to put Darren Aronofsky as one of the directors I want follow closely. He did a great job showing the decline of four drug addicts and made me feel as anxious and as close to what it probably feels like to be hooked on drugs. Without giving away any spoilers I will say part of the movie was as horrifying as anything I have ever seen. I truly felt sorry for the elderly lady who ended up addicted to prescription medicine that an irresponsible doctor prescribed her so she could lose weight. I highly recommend this movie but only to those who have the stomach to watch a very graphic and disturbing movie.

Oh, and I may as well mention, Aronofsky is another one of my favorites. Requiem is one of few films that I can say actually BOTHERED me, but check out The Fountain ASAP... He just gets better with each attempt. Plus, Mogwai (excellent post-rock band) collaborates on the score, and makes a great match-up with Aronofsky's visuals. It's just an overall great flick.

You know, he was originally set to direct the adaptation of Choke years back, sometime after Requiem was released on DVD, but he ended up putting it on hold because of The Fountain. I would have loved to see what he could've done for that adaptation... After watching the Choke clip in the other thread, I'm slightly dissapointed; it's sort of a let down, visually, compared to that of Fight Club, which had some of the best visuals in modern American cinema. And Aronofsky is probably one of the best visual directors out there right now, so I know he could have done something interesting. Not to mention the soundtrack would've been spectacular, because Clint Mansel is one of the best contemporary composers working in film... The music in the clip sounded as if it had tried to emulate Fight Club's soundtrack a tad...

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 02/18/08 10:06 PM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."