Originally Posted By: SC
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Kind of disappointing seeing how much I enjoyed John Carpenter's remake. This to me was more of a monster film in line with FRANKENSTEIN (and they hardly showed the monster at that). It was more military and politics.

In my view, the buildup of the storyline and the buildup of the suspense is MUCH MORE important than seeing what the creature looks like.

This was absolutely true in the original THING with James Arness. The music played during the buildup itself is what made it so suspenseful. Then when you do finally get to see a full shot of The Alien, that suspense sort of fizzles out.

For me, I still favor the original version. Just something about it that has always drawn me to watch it whenever it is on.

I really should give another veiwing to the re-maike though. It's been many years since I'v watched it.

As for THEM, I watched it on TCM yesterday. And you are right, the buildup is what makes the whole movie. When you see those ants, they really are cheesey! Regardless, it's still somewhat of a cult classic.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.