The hospital I work at had an outrbreak of a deadly bacteria over the weekend. I work in Materials, and we've been scrambling all week to get extra supplies needed to keep up with demand. When they've been taking the old supplies out of the rooms they've been bringing them down here to us. They say healthy people are ok. Only those with weak immune systems or respiratory problems are at risk. As something with Asthma this makes me feel real safe. This place won't be happy until it kills me.

Today they said 3 patients in other areas have come down with this as well.

Deadly Infection Found At Local Hospital

BALTIMORE (WJZ) ― The University of Maryland Medical Center says the hospital has found a few cases of a deadly infection. Three of seven people who have come down with this potentially deadly virus have died of possibly unrelated causes.

Marry Bubala reports it is called Acinetobacter baumannii.

Tests taken on Jan. 4 confirm the bacteria had infected seven patients at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Of the seven, three of the more critically ill later died but doctors aren't sure the bacteria caused their deaths. Since it can cause serious infections and is difficult to treat, patients like Kelly McColligan's mother are worried.

"My mom's going through radiation and chemo, which breaks down her immune system, so of course I'm concerned that it could get to my mother. So I wanted to know what floor it was on," McColligan said.

Eyewitness News has learned the bacteria is common to hospitals, can be transmitted from person-to-person contact and from contaminated wounds. Individuals with compromised immune systems are most at risk, along with those who suffer from diabetes and respiratory problems. However, it does not pose a threat to healthy people.

The bacteria was found in an isolated section of a critical care unit. Once identified, hospital officials took specific steps to clean it up.

It requires the use of special gloves, gowns, frequent handwashing and frequent equipment disinfection. Visitors are comforted by the medical center's actions, but not enough to totally ease their minds.

"Well, I'm really glad that they caught it, but I'm kind of upset that it got out, because it shouldn't have ever happened," said Curtis Witherspoon Sr.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.