Originally Posted By: Donatello Noboddi
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Let's be careful about our use of terms. While it is true that the Chicago family utilized non-italians, it is an Italian organization just like the othr families across the nation. All of the families utilize non-Italians as associates, but only as that.

The Chicago Outfit under Torrio and Capone was an Italian-dominated outfit. But, as I was careful to point out, the Mafia in Chicago was an altogether separate organization at that time. And while it's true that other families utilized and still use non-Italian associates, advisers, partners, etc., I don't believe any non-Italians achieved the rank, status and operating responsibilities that Guzik and Humphreys did in the Outfit under Torrio and Capone.

I have to respectfully disagree. Gus Alex (a Greek) ran day-to-day operations of The Outfit for a time in a triumverate with Tony Accardo and Joey "Doves" Aiuppa.

I read this as "non Italians not achieving rank" referring to other families, not Chicago. Was that correct?

As others have mentioned the Chicago Outfit was dominated by Italians, especially in the leadership positions but non Italians were not per se excluded from membership, as was the case in New York. The Chicago Outfit did not (at least during its heyday) have formal "making" ceremonies or prevent most criminals from joining based on ethnicity.

Gus Alex was definitely a leader and in some ways a heir to the political corruptor/financial roles that were filled earlier by Jake Guzik, Johnny Rosselli, and Murray Humphreys.

There were plenty of respected Outfit leaders and members not of Italian extraction-Claude Maddox, Hymie Levine, Walter Stevens, Joe Epstein, and Sam "Golf Bag" Hunt for starters.

Another difference between Chicago and New York was that the Chicago Outfit was organized more like a corporation. There was not necessarily one overboss, although one could argue that Accardo was as close to that as anyone.

I have read works which argue that Ricca and Accardo and to a lesser extent Humphreys, retained ultimate control over Giancana when he was boss, much like a Board of Directors over a CEO.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.