I'm currently up to season 3 in my continuing retrospective. My rediscovery reminds me that, as far as single, self-contained episodes go, it's my favourite season.

The opener, "Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood", is possibly the most unique of all episodes; it probably made a lot of people gasp when it first aired ("Fuck, where's this show going?"), but it's different, well-paced and fantastic - the FBI scenes are extremely witty. "Another Toothpick", "University" and "Second Opinion" is a great mid-season run of great consecutive episodes - possibly the most consistent since the first five of season 1; "Employee of the Month" and "Amou Fou" are top rate, and "Pine Barrens" might be the best episode ever.

Season 3 is the turning point in the show: the serialised narrative becomes more disparate and fragmentary with episodes becoming more self-contained, characters coming and going, and audiences more frustrated.

I'm a sucker for it, though, because the writing becomes richer, the acting more established and confident, the humour darker and the visual style more crisp and profound.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?