Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Pacino's favorite movie of his? Irrelevant. Just because it's Pacino's favorite doesn't mean it's the best.
You disagree with the Don's decision?

Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Scarface is a simple plot Rise and fall. The Godfather, and Goodfellas had much more realistic plots with a much better direction then Scarface had. Most people just say it is because they are fanatics over the entertainment of the movie.
Don Vercetti, I dig you man, but you are so wrong on this one "mang".

I'm sorry, but how many times has this board, or at least we GODFATHER fans know, that Mario Puzo invented alot of the formalities of the mafia in his novel that just doesn't exist and actually makes no sense, like the whole "Don" name issue. Besides, how many complaints has there been about the movie not being in reality with how the real mob works?

Neverless, so what? We all dig THE GODFATHER and we pay our tributes to it and its excellent(and superior) sequel.

Now GOODFELLAS is pretty darn accurate it seems in terms of how mafia hoods actually conduct business, and without the chilvarous nature of the GODFATHER films(NOTE: Of course I do know that GODFATHER was made as basically an operatic tale, and such chilvarous code of honor stuff makes sense and it totally works for GF) yet what is known in GOODFELLAS, besides Nicholas Pillegi's excellent novel WISEGUY, its all based on Henry Hill's sworned-testimony(especially who is behind the famed Luftwaffe theft).....but I say this only for the sake of objectivity.

Neverless, you say that people only dig SCARFACE for its entertainment? Isn't that like saying you would like to watch NASCAR to see the cars drive left all day? Fact is, movies are entertainment. Whatever a movie is a drama, action, comedy, sci-fi, Oscar-bait, movies entertain. I dare you to argue against that.

Besides, in Roger Ebert's list of his "GREAT MOVIES", his listing for the 1980's include movies like AMADEUS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THE RIGHT STUFF...and SCARFACE. I mean I know the pudgy critic has done some bonehead reviews(like giving thumbs up to the TOMB RAIDER films. Huh?!?!?!) but when hes right, hes right. Really, check out his SCARFACE review, for its quite a good read and really puts things in perspective.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20030928%2FREVIEWS08%2F309280301%2F1023

Now yes SCARFACE is story-wise a rise & fall tale, but really this is appropriate for a gangster film since I don't know of any real-life "gangsters" that didn't rise high and mighty but ended up a corpse or at the bottom face down. Besides, GOODFELLAS and the GODFATHER trilogy if you realize are a rise & fall tales as well(with Al Pacino rising in the first film, then in the pinnacle of his power and non-humanization in the sequel, and his fall in GF3) and GOODFELLAS is of course the rise & fall story of Henry Hill.

Finally, look at some filmmakers that make a big deal of how they were very influenced by SCARFACE, like the decent Hughes Brothers who made the good MENACE II SOCIETY and the decent watchable FROM HELL.

I apologize for these long posts, but I am passionate about this sort of thing, and please Don Vercetti, just know I have nothing against ya, its just I disagree with you big time. Oh ya, screw LOTR!