Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I'm beginning to think Michael was a terrible long term thinker.

I a sense, yes, maybe.

What I think happened is that Michael's plan did not pan out the way that he had hoped it would. Let's face it, he had hoped to have many sonS with Kay, but instead drove her away and caused her to not only abort any hope of having a second son, but eventually to take his only son away from him. His sister's children probably resented him in that they probably heard rumors and suspected that uncle Michael was responsible for the murder of their father, so they went their own way.

Sonny boys were probably protected by their mother and steered towards the road to legitimacy as she would not allow herself to lose one of her boys the way that she had lost her husband.

So in reality there was no one left for Michael to pass his legacy onto....that was until his brother's illegitimate son came onto the scene and showed an interest in being a part of BOTH the family and THE FAMILY.

In reality Michael was desperate to carry out his plan and had no choice but to mentor the only person with an hint of Corleone Blood to carry on the family business.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.