Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I know this has been a discussion on here before but I had a difficult time finding it in the search area, but why did Michael give control of the family to Vincent Mancini? Was it simply because he was family and best for the job?

Or was it because he resembled Sonny so much and Michael always felt Sonny should have been next and not him?

Or did it have anything to do with the increase in power and violence in the family and Michael knew Mancini had the fight in him to rule during this time?

I've said before that, if Michael'd had his way, Michael would have been "completely legitimate" as CEO of Immobiliare (which I continue to believe he would have used as a money-laundering conduit). Vincent would have been boss of what remained of the NYC "olive oil business." What was in it for Michael? Two things:
First, as a quid pro quo for Vincent becoming "Vincent Corleone," he had to agree to give up Mary. Then Michael would marry her off to some respectable chap that he approved of.

Second, Vincent would lurk in the background as Michael's "bulldog" (just as The Ant was Zasa's bulldog), except that Michael would keep Vincent at arms-length. Vincent would, in effect, be a deterrent to those who would try to unseat Michael by violence.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.