Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Why is it so intriguing to people when you tell them who you have met? If I were to say I'm close friends with Conan Obrien I would understand why others would want to ask me about him because I know him personally. But to say "I once met Kevin Costner in a bar and shook his hand and told him I loved him in Waterworld" and people listen to you with interest doesn't make much sense to me.

Why is fame such an important thing to us who are not famous? Especially when we constantly see the famous throw their lives away and talk about how they are not happy despite having everything most people want.

Well if anyone met Kevin Costner and told him they loved Waterworld, I would question their taste.

I think you are confusing fame with accomplishment. Most of the famous people named in this thread (with the exception of acknowledged B Listers and Wrestlers) are famous because they accomlished something in their lives... they were great athletes, writers, musicians, and what have you, so there is a natural fascination with people whose acomplishments are extraordinary, and it is truly exciting to meet them.

I would agree with your premise if everyone was posting that they once met Britney Spears or Paris Hilton who are famous for no good reason.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."