I went to all the Alan Freed rock 'n roll shows in the Fifties at the Brooklyn Paramount and Fox. If you hung out at the stage door, they'd come out to greet you. In addition to meeting Alan, I shook hands with:

Buddy Holly
Bo Diddley
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Fats Domino
Frankie Lymon
Jackie Wilson
...and many others (mostly one-hit wonders).

I met actress Veronica Lake in 1959 when I delivered something to a NYC hospital where she was drying out.

I met US Senator (later Governor) Jon Corzine at a Democratic fund-raiser in Summit, NJ.

I had a close brush with Muhammed Ali that's stayed in my memory:

I was in O'Hare Airport (Chicago) in '87, waiting for a flight to Newark. There was little traffic at the gate where I was waiting. I looked up--and did a double take: there, not 100 feet away, was Ali, standing by himself, alone. I stared and stared. Superficially, he looked great--no gray hair, still in trim shape, no marks on his face. But his eyes seemed a million miles away. Then a little, middle-aged woman (evidently some kind of caretaker) came up to him, took him by the arm, and started steering him toward another gate. Just then a bunch of kids ran up to him. He smiled, but it was a ghost of a smile. It was really sad.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.