Originally Posted By: olivant
Michael murdered his brother.That's the only salient difference between Michael's and Vito's depravity.

I don't agree. As much as Michael was the son most like his father, there were several differences between the two. As you said, his ordering the murder of his own brother is one difference.

Michael also developed a coldness, one that he even showed towards his own family. Towards his wife, and towards Tom. Vito would never have acted in the ways that Michael did with his wife or Tom. Never with his own family members to the extent that Michael did. And Michael did not have the knack for saying no, for speaking to people in a stern yet non offending manner. Vito did have those abilities. Michael was willing to manipulate his own family to get what he wanted and where he wanted to be. Vito didn't manipulate his own family members.

Michael also liked the spotlight somewhat. Liked surrounding himself with the high society types. The lavish lifestyle and surroundings. Vito would never allow himself to be a part of the kind of exposure that Michael allowed himself to be a part of.

I do agree with the originator of this topic that Michael was a much more complex character than Vito was.

Originally Posted By: olivant
they were willing to murder anyone to get what they wanted.

Yes (Vito outside the family, Michael in or out), I agree with that 100%.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.