Since "I Fought the Law" was writter by Sonny Curtis and originally recorded by Curtis and the post-Buddy Holly Crickets, I would argue that the Bobby Fuller Four version is also a pretty damn good cover version. Fuller's life, and death, are a very interesting story.

A couple of songs I especially like...and I'll climb "under the covers" because I like the original just as much...

Me and Bobby McGee -- Janis Joplin
Originally written and recorded by Kris Kristofferson. Joplin's version is spectacular, but Kristofferson's original is equally as compelling.

City of New Orleans -- Arlo Guthrie
I believe it was no less than David Allen Coe that called this the best damn train song ever written. He was actually talking about the original version by Steve Goodman, the Chicago folk music legend, and not Guthrie's version which got more recognition. Goodman's version is bouncy and happy. Guthrie's is plaintive and forlorn. Goodman actually felt Guthrie got it right.

Old '55 -- The Eagles
First appeared on Tom Waits' album Closing Time. The Eagles made it a more "radio friendly" song and consequently a modest success. Waits is an excellent songwriter, but his songs and style are definitely an acquired taste...one I acquired by seeing Waits on the original Soundstage television series produced by Chicago's public television station. I heard his version of Old '55 well before The Eagles when I bought copies of Waits' first few albums in the 1970's, and the album is filled with songs that could have been hits were they recorded by anyone else.

(Big Joe and) Phantom 309 -- Tom Waits
Originally written by a little-known country musician named Tommy Faile and recorded by Red Sovine. Like Guthrie's version of Goodman's CNO, Waits absolutely nails this on his live album Nighthawks at the Diner. There's no way this works except as a live version.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"