Originally Posted By: Sinister
Hello,
What Michael eventually became seems like a gradual process caused by all the wrong choices that he made or was forced to make. In part two he simply seems like someone who has completely "turned off" his feelings of compassion, because he's not able to face the terrible truth of the life he's chosen and his own actions. He's very aware of it. In part III, he says that clearly: "I betrayed my wife... I betrayed myself."
His flaws - his paranoia, his greed, his anger have overtaken him and so he's psychologically incapable of getting out, no matter how much he wants to. And he clearly wants to. It's just that wanting it and actually doing it are two different things (Michael at that point needed "hardcore therapy").

Very well put! Although we may call him heartless and ruthless at times, I think that we all agree that he gradually became those things due to the circumstances that came up in his life along with the losses of those he loved and the attacks made on those he loved. There is no question that he grew cold because of circumstances.

But by the time part II rolls around it goes beyond being put into a situation due to circumstances. By GFII, it looks as though Michael has now started to enjoy what he is now involved in. It's as though Michael now needs to keep feeding his ego! Michael now loves being this all and mighty powerful Don who enjoys masquerading around as this legitimate businessman who who hobknobs with Governors, Senators and high society people. It's only when the attempt is made on his life that he is somewhat brought back down a few notches and made to realize that no matter how many high society people he surrounds himself with that in truth he is still a common mafia hood.

And I believe that this makes Michael even more angry and stone cold. But not for the same reasons that he became the way that he did in GF1. This time it's because an attack was made on his ego!

In GFI an attack was made on those that he loved. His family had been threatened and he needed to protect it even though he was not involved.

In GFII an attack was made on his ego, on the now all powerful and mighty businessman Michael Corleone. Yes, his family could have been hurt or killed in this attack, but I don't believe that this was really his main concern. I think that he was utterly shocked that someone attempted to kill the big bad Don Michael Corleone!

That to me, is the difference in the Michael Corleone of GFI and the Michael Corleone of GFII.

As for the Michael Corleone of GFIII. Many of us have different opinons as to how Michael really felt. But I think that we ALL agree that he really did feel guilt and remorse for the things that he did, for the killing of Fredo, etc.

But at the same time, was he really that willing to let go and walk away? Was the "Just when I though I was out, they pull me back in" line really what he was feeling inside? Or was there still a part of him that wanted to hold on to the life that he become so accustomed to. Did Michael really want to let go of all the power and stature that he acheived?

Personally, I don't think so. I think that he manipulated Vincent. I think that he was "pulling the strings" and somewhat maintaining control over Vincent in order to keep a partial hold on "the life!" He could not completely let go.

Welcome to the boards! Great topic!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.