From Here to Eternity (1953)

Director: Fred Zinnemann
Starring: Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr, Donna Reed, Frank Sinatra; with Ernest Borgnine

I finally saw it!! \:o

Synopsis: Preceding the events of Pearl Harbor, a previously-higher-ranking army soldier (Cliff) takes a demotion to private in a transfer to another outfit after severely hurting a comrade in a boxing match. Standing up for himself and his values, he refuses to box despite his new Captain (Philip Ober) making sure he pays for his decision because he wants to win the boxing championship. Cliff's Sargent (Lancaster) eventually takes a liking to the ostensibly opposite renegade private as they both have similar issues -- with their lovers.

Review: I find it much more difficult reviewing and rating classic films than modern films. A classic film seems to ooze "GREATNESS" simply because it's old and won a bunch of awards in its day. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy classic films, and enjoyed this one as much as any. But there's obviously different criteria here versus a more modern film. Times and production values were different, and I think many (many, not all!) films pre-70's might not stand up the test of time if they were released today. It seems like I'm obligated to start with 4 stars just because of its notoriety.

I'm not saying I need violence, language, action, and sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll by any means. I LOVE classics - including the old (well, pre-80s) Charlton Heston films, and actually could see him in Lancaster's role. But, they all did well enough.

Except for that GLARING editing gaffe when Donna Reed is speaking with Lancaster at the beach, her lips moving w/o any sound.

What I wasn't expecting was -- this isn't a war film at all: it's a love story (well, two concurrent love stories).

Johnny Fontane never gets that movie! It's perfect for him -- it'd make him a big star!

Yes, this is the film that Frank Sinatra renewed his career with, after winning an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. And he was fine, indeed. I didn't review the other contenders for the award, but this almost seemed like Sinatra's SCENT OF A WOMAN or something. He did great, but, Oscar-winning? I don't feel his role was big enough, truthfully. But I'm fine with it.

Ah, this isn't a review, it's a free-association! lol In any event, I enjoyed it - just don't necessarily think it stands the test of time.

IMDb: 7.8/10
Netflix: 7.4/10
JGeoff: 7/10

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations