Rivières pourpres, Les [The Crimson Rivers] (2000) ****

Directed by: Mathieu Kassovitz (Gothika (2003), Babylon A.D. (2008))
Starring: Jean Reno (The Professional (1994)) & Vincent Cassel (Ocean's Twelve/Thirteen)

Two out-of-town French cops working on what seemed to be separate cases cross paths at a common suspect/victim's apartment to solve heinous crimes from an apparent serial killer. But there's much more to unearth.

Member a1, my Filmmaking instructor, told me this was great so I rented it (and its sequel which hasn't arrived yet). First off, thank goodness for the Bonus Features cuz otherwise I'd have a very hard time understanding exactly what happened. And I actually wasn't all that thrilled with the climax, personally, but it was a very good film. Unknown to me, it defaulted to dubbed English. (Well, it was obvious it was dubbed, tho they did a decent job, but) I really wish I had watched it in French with the subtitles, because it seems MOST of the dialogue was changed for the dubbing, and in the Extras much of it made a lot more sense as intended.

Incidentally, a1 also told me that the following was one of the worst films he's seen, so I watched this the other day:

Color of Night (1994) ***

Directed by: Richard Rush (The Stunt Man (1980))
Starring: Bruce Willis & Jane March (Beauty and the Beast (2003))

After one of his patients commits suicide from his NY office window, a psychiatrist (Willis) questions his profession and visits an old friend/colleague in LA who runs a support group. Upon his friend's murder, Willis reluctantly takes over the group and tries to help solve the crime.

I've seen quite a few bad movies in my day, but I kinda like them. This was no exception. Perhaps as someone who studied psych and led groups himself, it was intriguing. And God knows I love a good (or bad) murder mystery/thriller! So I wouldn't call this one of the worst movies ever made -- it held my interest at least. Especially the sex scenes (I believe it was the Unrated option: so choose that if you wanna see Bruce Willis and/or Jane March full-frontally nude )

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations