Originally Posted By: MaryCas

And in many places - like Northeast PA - schools are closed for opening day of deer season.

That's true. that's where I ghrew up, and we always had that day off until I went to a jesuit High school, and we got All Souls Day off instead.

I support the hunters, Iceman, even though I never hunted. I'm not morally opposed or anything, I just had other interests. Hunting is popular in Pennsylvania (outside of philadelphia), and all of the hunters I've known take their deer to butchers. Venison is quite good and very lean.

I frequently see deer grazing along highways. In fact, they have come up to my back yard at times. There was actually a problem several years ago where the deer population here became too great, and their natural habitat and food supplies couldn't sustain them all. Many were eating bark from trees, which they couldn't digest.

Also, as we build more and more homes in outlying areas, we come more and more in contact with deer, which are beautiful animals. They carry, however, the deer tick, which ,in turn, is a spreader of lyme disease, which becomes a serious problem for humans.

I also agree about the danger that an excessive deer population causes on the highways. Today I drove almost two hours on Interstate 81, and saw several carcasses along the highway. Some years there are many more. While I realize that hunters don't only hunt because of a compelling civic obligation, I don't criticize them if they enjoy the hunting experience.

However, I remember years ago that there were areas where the hunters would hang their deer from trees in front of their house as a decoration. This was distasteful, as well as several other adjectives that apply.