Originally Posted By: MaryCas
 Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Face it, if "they" want "they" can say whatever and up it to $5.00 per gallon and we once again are fu*cked .

TIS

TIS, what letter is the asterisk replacing?? I think you need a hug.

DC, my esteemed colleague, drill, drill, refine, refine....isn't that part of the problem? That's a band aid. Where are the long term solutions? Where is the long term plan to convert to solar, wind, water....and dare I say it..Nuculer.
Where are the government sponsered messages to conserve; 55 mph speed limits, remove every other light bulb, lower the thermostat in winter, raise it in summer, ride a bike, walk, TELECOMMUTE (remember that one?) There are no government sponsored messages because our government doesn't care. They have their own agenda and it ain't conserving energy or finding alternatives....there's no money in that.

We certainly need alternatives to fossil fuels, and we are decades behind in this. It would be better environmentally too.

I believe the government has responded poorly to this, and while it is not government's function to develop the alternatives, there are measures, like grants and tax incentives that could put this objective on the national front burner.

In addition to securing mind boggling profits, the oil companies have very powerful lobbies and exert political influence.