GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 303 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,964
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 273 of 319 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Don Cardi] #447783
11/02/07 02:19 PM
11/02/07 02:19 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I watched a real nice family baseball movie on the Disney Channel last night.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Mignon] #447866
11/03/07 12:56 AM
11/03/07 12:56 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Last King of Scotland **
Forest Whitaker plays an amazing role as Idi Amin. He brings out the eccentricities of a dictator very convincingly. The movie goes quite the hollywood way and there is nothing great to talk about.And why the hell is Idi Amin talking to villagers in English with an African accent. Use subtitles

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #447976
11/04/07 10:44 AM
11/04/07 10:44 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I don't know if anyone outside Brazil has already heard of it, but I believe it's just a question of time until most of you do.

it's a movie called Tropa de Elite (2007) ('Elite Squad'), about a special group of the brazilian police. actually, it's about the brazilian society as a whole. and believe me, it's among the most shocking and stunning movies ever done. if you think you get any taste of reality with the crap that it's out there, just give this films a chance. and believe me, it's all true.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Tony Mosrite] #448066
11/05/07 12:06 AM
11/05/07 12:06 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
(First Viewing)

The film should have focused more on the Steve Rubell character and Studio 54, not Ryan Phillippe and Salma Hayek. I felt this film was only a brief telling of the storied club and should not have been such a snapshot of it. I was also disappointed that Neve Campbell wasn't in it more (I thought she had a bigger role).

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448077
11/05/07 01:43 AM
11/05/07 01:43 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CANDYMAN: DAY OF THE DEAD
(First Viewing)

A horrible finish to a horrible franchise. Really, I didn't hardly enjoy a single filim from Tony Todd as the Candyman. I don't know why the original got so much play back in 1992? Some pretty nice hooter shots, but even those aren't worth watching this piece of crap.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448080
11/05/07 01:57 AM
11/05/07 01:57 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I've never even heard of this Candyman series. If it's so bad, I might be interested

Actually, I'll take your word for it.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #448089
11/05/07 05:05 AM
11/05/07 05:05 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Fidel (2001) (documentary)

This seemed somewhat pro-Castro for the most part - but after the decades of apparent propaganda I've heard about Cuba and Castro from the US Government, I'd like to think it's the truth! This is a MUST-SEE, accurate or not! (Well, of course it's accurate - it's all historic footage. It just may not include all of the "other side" of things.) But this presents Castro as practically an admirable leader who lead his country out of dictatorship (I thought that somewhat ironic) to improve itself, and to improve conditions in other similar struggling countries. Castro helped put a stop to apartheid in South Africa -- probably more than we ever did (cuz there's nothing in it for us perhaps? Like ending global genocide? What genocide? \:\/ ) I'm certainly no scholar of history -- so if someone has an opposing source I could watch, I'd love to see it. But this video practically makes me admire the man. (Well, even "evil" figures can be admired for their accomplishments - but I mean even as a person)... and as shown in this video, with many American celebrity sympathizers, Castro isn't "evil" at all... (at least not as much as our CIA!)

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #448180
11/05/07 01:49 PM
11/05/07 01:49 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I've never even heard of this Candyman series. If it's so bad, I might be interested

Actually, I'll take your word for it.

Please do and stay far, far away from it. But I have been enjoying these horror franchises that I've never seen before. Thus far I've watched:

-HALLOWEEN
-FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
-TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
-URBAN LEGENDS
-CHUCKY
-CANDYMAN

Next I plan on tackling the LEPRECHAUN, HELLRAISER and the 8 Films To Die For series

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448201
11/05/07 02:24 PM
11/05/07 02:24 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Ive seen the first FROM DUST TILL DAWN how are the others?.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #448219
11/05/07 02:57 PM
11/05/07 02:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
2 sucked but 3 was pretty good. I'd recommend watching both just so you can see the entire trilogy.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448322
11/06/07 01:58 AM
11/06/07 01:58 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE ABANDONED
(First Viewing)

Starting off the 8 Films To Do For series on the wrong foot. In fact, it picked up where I left off (I've seen 2 of the 8 movies prior to this film). A terrible story penned by 3 three people: Karim Hussain, Richard Stanley, and director Nacho Cerdà. Hopefully they're never put in charge again to develop a script. I was also very disappointed to see Karel Roden in this piece of crap. From the few films I've seen the man in I've enjoyed his work except for this. For example, there's one scene where he gets shot in the leg and he has to pull the bullet out with a pair of plyers. While doing so he hardly makes a grunt, even after pouring alcohol on the open wound. No offense to Karel but the man's no John Rambo here. I really hope some of the films are worth watching in this series but I have a feeling I'm going to be terribly disappointed \:\(

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448325
11/06/07 02:14 AM
11/06/07 02:14 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
2 sucked but 3 was pretty good. I'd recommend watching both just so you can see the entire trilogy.

I also loved the first one but have been hesitant to see the sequels. I'll probably end up watching them eventually.

The first one was great though. I loved how it seems like a typical crime movie until about halfway through when you suddenly realize it's about fighting vampires.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #448328
11/06/07 03:55 AM
11/06/07 03:55 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

The Great Dictator (1940) - Written, directed, and starring Sir Charles Chaplin.

Wow. I don't think I've ever really seen a full-length Charlie Chaplin feature, let alone this masterpiece! Sir Charlie played two roles in this WWII satire: That of a Hitleresque dictator, and his double: a Jewish barber with amnesia since WWI.

It was odd enough hearing him actually speak for over 2 hours - especially in that German accent! I swear, though -- most of the time I thought I was watching Peter Sellers, especially from the Dr. Strangelove era. Uncanny!

Incredibly too funny to be offensive, I think. And Paulette Goddard was quite hot in the day -- despite the fact this year she would've been 97 years old

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: J Geoff] #448329
11/06/07 04:15 AM
11/06/07 04:15 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff

The Great Dictator (1940) - Written, directed, and starring Sir Charles Chaplin.

Wow. I don't think I've ever really seen a full-length Charlie Chaplin feature, let alone this masterpiece! Sir Charlie played two roles in this WWII satire: That of a Hitleresque dictator, and his double: a Jewish barber with amnesia since WWI.

It was odd enough hearing him actually speak for over 2 hours - especially in that German accent! I swear, though -- most of the time I thought I was watching Peter Sellers, especially from the Dr. Strangelove era. Uncanny!

Incredibly too funny to be offensive, I think. And Paulette Goddard was quite hot in the day -- despite the fact this year she would've been 97 years old

Its a great movie, but I must sak....what do you think of the ending speech by Chaplin?

Ebert did a rather great GREAT MOVIES edition on THE GREAT DICTATOR, and he slammed the finale speech.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #448342
11/06/07 05:36 AM
11/06/07 05:36 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I must sak....what do you think of the ending speech by Chaplin?

Ebert...slammed the finale speech.

"Sak" away! \:p I thought the last monologue struck me as enlightening and entirely relevant, even today -- WTF problem could Ebert (or anyone) possibly have with it??

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IvPIWzQcUY

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #448379
11/06/07 09:16 AM
11/06/07 09:16 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

I also loved the first one but have been hesitant to see the sequels. I'll probably end up watching them eventually.

The first one was great though. I loved how it seems like a typical crime movie until about halfway through when you suddenly realize it's about fighting vampires.

The 2nd film looks like it was made for TV, however the third film was a nice surprise. Michael Parks (who played in KILL BILL: VOLUMES 1 & 2, FROM DUSK 'TILL DAWN and GRINDHOUSE) stars in it so I was glad to be able to see more of his work. Also, it's a prequel and takes place during the old west. A good pick up if anything factors interest you.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448384
11/06/07 10:43 AM
11/06/07 10:43 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I'd recommend watching both just so you can see the entire trilogy.
Ideally speaking, everybody gets to see every single film in the world. At one point in my youth I was determined to see at least most, but then reality got the better of me. I see a lot of box-ticking in this thread, a lot of testing one's self-endurance against really, really rubbish films, just for the sake of having seen them.

I think a lot of people would benefit by making a conscious effort to watch more fantastic films, instead of the shitpiles of garbage they already are. Otherwise, it's a waste of energy.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #448388
11/06/07 10:51 AM
11/06/07 10:51 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I tend to go for films that interest me, i not one who will watch any old film just to tell people i have seen it.. I rearley watch new films as todays market does not interest me one bit.(action hero,animated films,remade films etc.)

I can't remember the last time i left a cinema thinking that was a great film..

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #448395
11/06/07 10:59 AM
11/06/07 10:59 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Well, there's more to contemporary cinema than those kinds you listed.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #448401
11/06/07 11:10 AM
11/06/07 11:10 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Sure there is,but they dont interest me either,very hard to please me when watching films.... ;\)

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #448405
11/06/07 11:19 AM
11/06/07 11:19 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The last "good" film i watched was a german film which won best forgein film at 2007 oscars was Leben der Anderen, Das (2006)(Germany) about the break up of east and west germany.. Capo you may have seen this but i would recommend this film to people..

Last edited by DE NIRO; 11/06/07 11:20 AM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #448408
11/06/07 11:29 AM
11/06/07 11:29 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Yeah, this is what I wrote at the time:
 Quote:
It's rather easy to see how this won Best Foreign Film at the Oscars: a humane film which invests all kinds of hope in one of the most coldly robotic systems this side of the Third Reich - it's one of the first films to take seriously the Stasi and its systematic deculturisation of the GRU before the fall of the Berlin Wall. And, to be fair, von Donnersmarck's debut feature (brave in concept, inadequate in execution) conjures an effectively cold and brutish sense of social terror, in its dull, sparse cinematography and flat overall visual texture, and in some of the incidents shown early on, in which Stasi agents rig an apartment with surveillance and a spying neighbour is threatened into secrecy. But, for all that, it's a dissatisfyingly ordinary film which pushes two characters to the core of the narrative when it would have perhaps been best to tell the tale of one: in showing the triumph over adversity arc of the quarry (individual persistence against the system), it shows the eventual sympathising of the agent spying on him... a most unlikely fiction, and a pleasantly annoying one, too. There's little in the way of self-reflexivity, and for a film all to do with spying and intrusions of privacy, it probably should be, really. Oddly, for a film more interested in characters than in the way they're presented to us, the suicide of a main player late on rings unusually cold - a sure sign that the narrative focus has been muddled and the emotional core empty. The coda is almost laughable.

Since you liked it, De Niro, check out Coppola's The Conversation. For me, this film's masterful script and direction highlights the problems I had with The Lives of Others.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #448412
11/06/07 11:38 AM
11/06/07 11:38 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

i thought you may have wrote something here about the film.Ive still not seen the Conversation.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #448507
11/06/07 06:52 PM
11/06/07 06:52 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
DARK RIDE 1/2
(First Viewing)

Wow, some pretty noticeable faces and an enjoyable film for one of the 8 Films To Die For. Jamie-Lynn Sigler was the main star, which she must have filmed while wraping up THE SOPRANOS. Also, I got to see Patrick Renna who I haven't seen outside of 1993 when he released THE SANDLOT and SON IN LAW. A decent story about a serial killer in an amusement park. I wish more horror films were based in themeparks as I feel more could be made.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448546
11/07/07 12:16 AM
11/07/07 12:16 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
AMERICAN GANGSTER 1/2
(First Viewing)

Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott are all back and all is right in the world again. This is Scott's best film since 2000's GLADIATOR and hopefully it'll garner Denzel yet another Oscar nomination for his role of Frank Lucas.

As I was watching this film I was constantly reminded of the 1983 version of SCARFACE about the rise and fall of a gangster. And while I don't feel Denzel to be as villainous or as likeable as Tony Montana, I'll give the man props in that he does pull off a very smooth gangster.

I also like Chiwetel Ejiofor's work and was glad to see him reteam with Denzel (they were both in Spike Lee's INSIDE MAN). Also, Josh Brolin was back (just saw him recently in Robert Rodriguez's PLANET TERROR) and now I'm eagerly anticipating his next film with the Coen Brothers, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #448548
11/07/07 12:30 AM
11/07/07 12:30 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Harsh Times **
Christian Bale acts as a soldier returned from war who gets into crime in LA. The movie was very good almost till the end and Christian Bale does an excellent job. The ending however is somewhat unsatisfactory.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #448563
11/07/07 01:50 AM
11/07/07 01:50 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
SANTA'S SLAY
(First Viewing)

An enjoyable and humerous horror film that I find to be original: Santa Claus as a serial killer. And better yet but Bill Goldberg playing Santa. I thought it was a great B horror flick with other noticeable faces in the film such as James Caan, Rebecca Gayheart, Fran Drescher, Chris Kattan, and Saul Rubinek.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #448564
11/07/07 01:51 AM
11/07/07 01:51 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: svsg
Harsh Times **
Christian Bale acts as a soldier returned from war who gets into crime in LA. The movie was very good almost till the end and Christian Bale does an excellent job. The ending however is somewhat unsatisfactory.

The only Christian Bale movie that I've seen and didn't enjoy in the least

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #448571
11/07/07 03:07 AM
11/07/07 03:07 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I think a lot of people would benefit by making a conscious effort to watch more fantastic films, instead of the shitpiles of garbage they already are. Otherwise, it's a waste of energy.

I'm always almost ashamed to admit that I love bad movies. My desire to see them is hard to explain though. I don't like movies because they are bad. I love movies that try hard, but fail due to a bad budget and bad acting. I love movies that are over the top, but are still fun if you can laugh at how bad they are.

There are a lot of movies that I consider just plain bad. But the movies I am entertained by are usually hated by the general population.

So am I wrong for wanting to see a poorly computer-animated fish eat bad actors in funny situations instead of watching an award winning movie? While I do enjoy great movies, sometimes I choose shallow entertainment over thought provoking masterpieces. Not because it's so I can say I saw it, but because I enjoy it.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #448572
11/07/07 03:17 AM
11/07/07 03:17 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Pather Panchali ****
Great stuff from the Bengali director, Satyajit Ray. I believe this was his first movie or at least one of his earliest. I was totally moved by the story, more than anything, of ups and downs, actually minuscule ups among major downs. The helplessness and tragedy of a life in poverty comes out strongly. The camera work and sound/music are also excellent. Highly recommended.

Page 273 of 319 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 318 319

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull