That was a great scene.

I loved Toby. I always felt that he was like Eeyore, just too sad. And yet he could be so very funny, in that dry Toby way. Like in Celestial Navigation, when Sam starts going on about how Justice Mendoza would drive down from Nova Scotia, "I would imagine he'd take the Trans-Canada Highway..." and then does it again to POTUS when he's already pissed off at all of them, and Toby just rubs his head and says, "Shut UP". Or when Josh mocks them in that episode for not being able to find Wesley, CT, Toby simply asks him to tell them more about the President's secret plan to fight inflation. He delivery was so perfect.

I think that like you, Beth, I loved Toby most in In Excelsis Deo. He was always so great when he was doing something that he knew was politically wrong, but morally right. When POTUS calls him into the Oval Office to ask if he had used the president's name to order the full military burial for the homeless man, and he defiantly tells him that he did, and that he hopes that all veterans would do so. He stands there looking a bit sheepish and a bit defiant, a tough combination to pull off, but he somehow did.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club