Originally Posted By: klydon1
If Girardi gets the job, I wonder if Mattingly will hook on with another club. Certainly, he won't be able to stay with the Yankees.

Also, has A-Rod officially filed his letters today to opt out of his contract? I'm not convinced he's leaving. The announcement may have been designed to see how much cash the Yankees would throw at him.

I think Girardi is a better choice as manager instead of Mattingly, though I wonder if Girardi can last a year because got canned in his previous managerial job because he told the penny-pinching Marlins owner to go fuck himself and got fired...despite winning the NL Manager of the Year prize.

That said, I would have instead kept Torre but whatever. Right Hank?

I know the NYC media assumed it would be Mattingly, but consider this. Girardi has managerial experience, he made a winning Marlins club out of scrubs. He turned an expected 100-loss ballclub into would-be playoff contenders. Plus, Girardi was offered a very juicy Baltimore Orioles contract, and he turned it down flat.

The Yanks job was his, if Torre left/got canned.

But yeah, if the reports are true, I hope Joe Torre does well with the Dodgers. Be nice to see him validate his HOF credentials and make the Steinbrenner clan look like idiots*.

*=Not that they need help really!