GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Lana, 1 invisible), 451 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,476
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,963
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 271 of 319 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #444984
10/20/07 11:51 PM
10/20/07 11:51 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
D.E.B.S. 1/2
(First Viewing)

Recruited by the U.S. government for their unique ability to lie, cheat and fight, Amy, Max, Janet and Dominique join an underground academy of secret agents known only as D.E.B.S. These crime fighting hotties set out to save the world and keep their lipstick perfectly applied while doing so. Now the girls must combine their skills for their most important mission- to capture vexing vixen Lucy Diamond, the deadliest criminal the world has ever known. When D.E.B.S. star player, Amy, falls for Lucy, chaos erupts and the D.E.B.S. loyalty is put to the test.

Well, I guess hot chicks can't save any movie because this is living proof. Supposedly a female spoof on the spy genre, which maybe was geared more towards a female audience? Why is Devon Aoki who is of Japanese decent speaking with a French accent? Trying to be funny? Please, try again because it wasn't. Also, too much CGI, which as I've said in the past, if it doesn't help will hurt a film (see KUNG FU HUSTLE). I thought this would be more in line with DOA: DEAD OR ALIVE. Boy was I horribly mistaken.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #444985
10/20/07 11:52 PM
10/20/07 11:52 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I12,

I don't remember, but I think so. \:p Give me a brief summary. I also didn't mind Jeepers Creepers.

TIS

Here ya go TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445016
10/21/07 02:20 AM
10/21/07 02:20 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
I think every DVD I buy is worth watching again, otherwise I wouldn't buy it. Secondly, I don't buy every DVD on the market (I wish I could but I don't). Finally, most of the movie reviews in this thread isn't from my own personal DVDs that I own. They're eithered borrowed from friends or rented from Blockbuster ;\)

I meant to ask you this before and I can't remember if I actually did, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself.

What are you going to do when HD-DVD or Blu Ray discs take over. Are you going to purchase all of your movies over again in those formats?

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #445017
10/21/07 02:27 AM
10/21/07 02:27 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE S.S. EXPERIMENT
(First Viewing)

This is a sleazy WW2 Nazi camp movie which plays more like a black comedy. In this film the poor female POW's get raped and groped by all and sundry at the camp. In an amusing comic twist the commandant decides he wants a new pair of testicles and so removes them from one of the hunky guards. The guard doesn't seem to realise he's been castrated until he goes to bonk one of the French prisoners.

Not the grindhouse film I was expecting. I was expecting something along the lines of ILSA or WOMEN'S CAMP 119. A women's in prison/World War II/Nazi experimental film. There were hardly any experiments and those that were conducted were about love making (not torture). Still an enjoyable genre to sit back and laugh at but again, not what I was hoping for.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #445018
10/21/07 02:31 AM
10/21/07 02:31 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
I think every DVD I buy is worth watching again, otherwise I wouldn't buy it. Secondly, I don't buy every DVD on the market (I wish I could but I don't). Finally, most of the movie reviews in this thread isn't from my own personal DVDs that I own. They're eithered borrowed from friends or rented from Blockbuster ;\)

I meant to ask you this before and I can't remember if I actually did, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself.

What are you going to do when HD-DVD or Blu Ray discs take over. Are you going to purchase all of your movies over again in those formats?

No way man. I have over 700 DVDs and it's growing (literally weekly). From what I heard, and I could be wrong about this so don't quote me, but Blu-Ray players are able to play standard DVDs to avoid this dilemma. I think Blu-Ray will eventually win out but if this is indeed correct, then we're all covered. Sure I'd like to get them all again in high def, but financially it'd kill be and be too time consuming. Plus, if the movie wasn't filmed in high def (for example, SCARFACE), there isn't much of a difference in picture. Not only that, but I've been comparing the special features on standard and Blu-Ray DVDs and for whatever reason, the Blu-Ray DVDs don't have many special features while the standard DVD release did

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445020
10/21/07 02:50 AM
10/21/07 02:50 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
From the beginning I thought HD DVD would dominate over Blu Ray only because "HD" is more commonly known thanks to HD TV. Interesting point though about Blu Ray...

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #445029
10/21/07 04:43 AM
10/21/07 04:43 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra (12/11/06)
Hard Candy
David Slade 2005 US 1st time; DVD
A 14-year-old girl meets up with a thirtysomething guy she met in an Internet chatroom, and, suspecting he is a paedophile, turns the tables on him.
Daring, challenging, certainly interesting film which must be admired - perhaps seen - for deciding to tackle such a difficult subject by grabbing it by the balls. That is not to say, however, that it does it particularly well, and it is interesting to see the limitations of representing paedophilia in Film; it is drastically miscast, for starters, and the script early on is interesting but possibly in the wrong way: we're cheering for the bad guy, because not only is the kid extremely annoying, but her acting and the lines she has to play with are flat. The camera is often static and the framing symmetrical, with its middle-class suburban house allowing characters to be shot against block solid colours - red, grey, white, pink, and so on. Besides visual sumptuousness, it's nothing less than ludicrous when you're watching; but upon reflection, it is probably worth revisiting again.

I'm glad I did a search before posting here saying how much I liked this film (7.1/10 IMDb; 3.3/5 Netflix). I'm surprised that I pretty much disagree with most everything you've said! \:o "Drastically miscast"?? (18-year-old) Ellen Page was brilliant I thought! "Cheering for the bad guy", at least back-and-forth, according to the Extras that you apparently skipped, was intentional and the whole idea of the movie. Her acting, for the character, was great -- the writing was terrific (except here and there), IMHO, and being an Indy film with a $1 million budget filmed in limited locations, and in only 3 weeks, they did a fine job with what they had. Sure, I noticed a few symmetrical shots, but there were many more that were brilliantly composed. So I must think it was intended. And the solid color backdrops hit me halfway thru, as possibly emulating the same backdrops a photographer would (and does) use during a shoot.

This director's first-ever feature-length film was impressive, as well as the work of all the cast and crew, given the resources available to them. The "Digital Colorist" did a fantastic job overall; except at the 30 minute point were the color palette changed so obviously that I thought it was a mistake. I rewound it twice! But they said in the extras it was intentional. Whatever... lol.

I think it is worth revisiting again. \:p

Last edited by J Geoff; 10/21/07 04:53 AM.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #445045
10/21/07 11:23 AM
10/21/07 11:23 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
From the beginning I thought HD DVD would dominate over Blu Ray only because "HD" is more commonly known thanks to HD TV. Interesting point though about Blu Ray...

I think once the PS3 came out, a lot of things changed. Also, more studios solely make Blu-Ray. Universal solely makes HD-DVD, Warner Bros. and Paramount make both formats, while Disney/Buena Vista, Fox, Sony, MGM, and Lionsgate solely make Blu-Ray.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445079
10/21/07 04:54 PM
10/21/07 04:54 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WE'RE NOT MARRIED
(First Viewing)

A bumbling justice-of-the-peace performs several illegal marriages. Thirty months later, he discovers his mistake and five couples must deal with the news that they're not married. Included: Ramona and Steve, who loathe each other but married to get a lucrative radio contract; the winner of the Mrs. Mississippi pageant; a couple who barely speak, while the husband dreams of former flames; an oil tycoon and a gold-digger after his wealth; and soldier Willie Fisher, about to ship out to the Korean War leaving his gorgeous spouse pregnant.

An interesting story, especially for 1952. It really makes one wonder, what they would do if they were ever granted a get out of marriage free card? This film exemplified most of those options. I watched this primarily for Marilyn Monroe but she was hardly in it. Still an enjoyable film. However, one trend I noticed was the husband in each couple was the person to read the letter stating their marriage was invalid. I sometimes like to watch these older movies to see just how much the world has changed and how roles of males and females have likewise changed.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445088
10/21/07 06:30 PM
10/21/07 06:30 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I disagree with a lot of my original review, too, JG. I've certainly warmed to it with time. I think it's an intentional, self-acknowledged handling of a difficult subject matter and the clichés which come with it, though for me it doesn't quite overcome the limitations of the genre. It's visually excellent.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #445103
10/21/07 07:25 PM
10/21/07 07:25 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
MONKEY BUSINESS (1952)
(First Viewing)

Barnaby Fulton is a research chemist working on a fountain of youth pill for a chemical company. While trying a sample dose on himself, he accidentally gets a dose of a mixture added to the water cooler and believes his potion is what is working. The mixture temporarily causes him to feel and act like a teenager, including correcting his vision. When his wife gets a dose that is even larger, she regresses even further into her childhood. When an old boyfriend meets her in this state, he believes that her never wanting to see him again means a divorce and a chance for him.

Another hidden Marilyn Monroe performance. Only the second Howard Hawks film I've seen. The first was SCARFACE, which I thoguht was awesome. However, this "comedy" was anything but. Again, not my type of humor and rather dull.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445155
10/22/07 12:30 AM
10/22/07 12:30 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES 1/2
(First Viewing)

Lorelei and Dorothy are just "Two Little Girls from Little Rock", lounge singers on a transatlantic cruise, working their way to Paris, and enjoying the company of any eligible men they might meet along the way, even though "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend." Based on the Broadway musical based on the novel.

Probably one of my favorite musicals because they didn't constantly sing. Sure there was a good amount of singing but not to the point where ever other scene had a song. Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell were a dynamic duo together. Not just vocally, but visually. Aside from both women being breathtaking, they actually seemed like girlfriends.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445254
10/22/07 12:24 PM
10/22/07 12:24 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE
(First Viewing)

Three New York models move into a Manhattan penthouse apartment and set out to find eligible millionaire bachelors to marry. Two of the women find a potential candidate, but all three also fall in love with other men who may not be as financially secure. Each woman now faces a dilemma: do they choose love or money?

These past two films have really exemplified the stereotypical blonde gold digger character and I think Monroe plays them both beautifully. In the end good always triumphs over evil but before we reach that conclusion, it was kind of revolting for me to watch these money hungry, gold digging, she-devils.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445555
10/23/07 03:34 PM
10/23/07 03:34 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
SAW III
(Third Viewing)

Jeff is an anguished man, who grieves and misses his young son that was killed by a driver in a car accident. He has become obsessed for revenge against the man and reckless with his wife and daughter. When Dr. Lynn Denlon, who has troubles with her marriage, is abducted by the deranged Jigsaw's apprentice Amanda, she is brought to a gruesome warehouse to keep John Kramer alive in spite of having a terminal brain tumor. Amanda puts a necklace gadget full of explosives around Dr. Lynn's neck connected to John Kramer's life support system, and tells her that if he dies the device will explode. Meanwhile, Jeff is submitted to a sick game of forgiveness with surprising dark consequences.

What I love most about this film was it returned to the original and showed us things that weren't necessarily true. This film did a great job going into the backstory of Jigsaw and Amanda. I'm wondering how they'll continue to make anymore SAWs but this weekend we'll find out.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445631
10/23/07 08:07 PM
10/23/07 08:07 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
SUMMER OF SAM
(First Viewing)

Spike Lee's take on the "Son of Sam" murders in New York City during the summer of 1977 centering on the residents of an Italian-American South Bronx neighborhood who live in fear and distrust of one another.

My biggest problem with the film was Spike's decision to focus on John Leguizamo and Mira Sorvino's marriage, as well as Adrien Brody and Jennifer Esposito's relationship more than the Son of Sam killer. I felt he missed the point of the film and it should have been more like a BRONX IS BURNING. The story should have focused on the .44 killer, the Yankees, the heatwave and blackouts that summer, etc. I really don't care about John Leguizamo being a cheating b*stard and his marriage fails as a result of it. Also, why did Spike even cast John Leguizamo as an Italian? I thought that was a bad choice on his part because John stuck out as a non-Italian. However, my favorite part of the film is when the Anthony character asks a punk on the street who his favorite baseball team is. The punk replies the Boston Red Sox before Anthony and his associate give the punk a beat down

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445640
10/23/07 10:19 PM
10/23/07 10:19 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
How open are people to new cinematic experiences, here?

In the hope that they are, may I suggest two directors with whom I've recently fallen for?

The first is Alejandro Jodorowsky, who directed El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Fando y Lis (among others, though these are the most readily accessible on DVD).

The second is Claire Denis. I rarely see people on this board watch films by a female artist (and she is an artist, in every sense of the word), so check out Beau travail, Vendredi soir, L'intrus and Trouble Every Day (again, the most available on DVD).

All of these films will question you and your life. They're magnificent, and the best films I've watched recently. Ask if you wish to know more.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 10/24/07 01:54 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #445674
10/24/07 02:00 AM
10/24/07 02:00 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
One of these days I'm going to have to ask you, Capo, to make a list of 10-20 movies so I can just start watching them all. To be honest, the movies you list on here could be completely fake and I wouldn't know the difference. However, knowing how you look at things from a different angle I would love to see the movies you love.

My only question is, do you also have some sort of a time machine that will give me 26 hours a day, rather then the usual 24? That's all I need... an extra two hours a day.

Dead God, I just need two more hours a day. Plus a few minutes of reflection.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #445678
10/24/07 03:34 AM
10/24/07 03:34 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Maxed Out 4/5
Probably one of the scariest movies I've seen in years... and this isn't a movie - it's real!

Velvent Goldmine 3/5
I should've liked this more, with the ol' school rawk and all... but the UFOs kinda confused me... what?? Nice soundtrack, tho!

Air Guitar Nation 3/5
Who knew?? Tho I know I could beat them all \:p

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: J Geoff] #445695
10/24/07 06:37 AM
10/24/07 06:37 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
THE LONG RIDERS

Watched this western last night,you know the one with the Carradine,Keach and Quaid brothers all playing....er...brothers \:\)
Not a bad Western at all!
I give it 6 out of 10

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: J Geoff] #445822
10/24/07 02:07 PM
10/24/07 02:07 PM
K
KrautDude82 Offline
Wiseguy
KrautDude82  Offline
K
Wiseguy
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra (12/11/06)
Hard Candy
David Slade 2005 US 1st time; DVD
A 14-year-old girl meets up with a thirtysomething guy she met in an Internet chatroom, and, suspecting he is a paedophile, turns the tables on him.
Daring, challenging, certainly interesting film which must be admired - perhaps seen - for deciding to tackle such a difficult subject by grabbing it by the balls. That is not to say, however, that it does it particularly well, and it is interesting to see the limitations of representing paedophilia in Film; it is drastically miscast, for starters, and the script early on is interesting but possibly in the wrong way: we're cheering for the bad guy, because not only is the kid extremely annoying, but her acting and the lines she has to play with are flat. The camera is often static and the framing symmetrical, with its middle-class suburban house allowing characters to be shot against block solid colours - red, grey, white, pink, and so on. Besides visual sumptuousness, it's nothing less than ludicrous when you're watching; but upon reflection, it is probably worth revisiting again.

I'm glad I did a search before posting here saying how much I liked this film (7.1/10 IMDb; 3.3/5 Netflix). I'm surprised that I pretty much disagree with most everything you've said! \:o "Drastically miscast"?? (18-year-old) Ellen Page was brilliant I thought! "Cheering for the bad guy", at least back-and-forth, according to the Extras that you apparently skipped, was intentional and the whole idea of the movie. Her acting, for the character, was great -- the writing was terrific (except here and there), IMHO, and being an Indy film with a $1 million budget filmed in limited locations, and in only 3 weeks, they did a fine job with what they had. Sure, I noticed a few symmetrical shots, but there were many more that were brilliantly composed. So I must think it was intended. And the solid color backdrops hit me halfway thru, as possibly emulating the same backdrops a photographer would (and does) use during a shoot.

This director's first-ever feature-length film was impressive, as well as the work of all the cast and crew, given the resources available to them. The "Digital Colorist" did a fantastic job overall; except at the 30 minute point were the color palette changed so obviously that I thought it was a mistake. I rewound it twice! But they said in the extras it was intentional. Whatever... lol.

I think it is worth revisiting again. \:p

Too bad that same director sucked it hard with 30 Days of Night.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: KrautDude82] #445837
10/24/07 02:58 PM
10/24/07 02:58 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CAPTIVITY
(Second Viewing)

A young model is drugged, kidnapped and subject to harrowing torture in a cell of horrors in this spine chilling horror thriller. Jennifer is young, beautiful and famous. Everybody knows her name and her popularity brings her everything she wants in life- but one mans jealousy lures Jennifer to a dimension in torture when she finds herself drugged, captured and held in an underground maze of terror. Taken against her will and subject to psychological punishment, Jennifer soon questions her sanity as her watchful tormentor pits her in numerous twisted traps. After struggling to keep her mind, she meets with Gary, another prisoner in the sick games and together they try their wits to escape from the cells and defeat the madman behind the sick games- but are they already too late when they are bound, gagged and thrust into a world of pain?

After a second viewing I would say this is almost more of a suspense or psychological thrill than I would a horror film. True, at the beginning their are some gory moments but those are all dispelled by the midway point. The gore was a nice surprise as more filmmakers are continually trying to push the envelope and try new ways to scare/horrify/shock the audience. As for the story it was fairly predictable with the second cell mate and the ending. However, I did find about 3-5 different goofs while watching it the second time around which makes the film seem cheap and lazy. However, the DVD ending is different than the theatrical ending. They cut the original by about 10 seconds and then added additional scenes lasting another couple of minutes. This is the first film I can remember where the theatrical and DVD endings were different.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445873
10/24/07 07:35 PM
10/24/07 07:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
HUDSON HAWK
(First Viewing)

Eddie Hawkins, called Hudson Hawk has just been released from ten years of prison and is planning to spend the rest of his life honestly. But then the crazy Mayflower couple blackmail him to steal some of the works of Leonardo da Vinci. If he refuses, they threaten to kill his friend Tommy.

I'm glad to see this was Bruce Willis' last attempt at creating his own story. I don't know whether the jokes were made to be serious or were tongue-in-cheek. Either way they were dry and unfunny. I hope the paycheck was worth it for both Bruce Willis and Andie MacDowell because this is some of the worst work I've seen by either of them. Glad to see THE LAST BOY SCOUT and DEATH BECOMES HER weren't too far after this trainwreck to get Bruce back into our good graces.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445910
10/24/07 10:46 PM
10/24/07 10:46 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WALL STREET
(First Viewing)

Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen) is a Wall Street stockbroker in early 1980's New York with a strong desire to get to the top. Working for his firm during the day, he spends his spare time working an on angle with with to approach the high-powered, extremely successful (but ruthless and greedy) broker Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas). Fox finally meets with Gekko, who takes the youth under his wing and explains his philosophy that "Greed is Good". Taking the advice and working closely with Gekko, Fox soon finds himself swept into a world of "yuppies", shady business deals, the "good life", fast money, and fast women; something which is at odds with his family including his estranged father (Martin Sheen) and the blue-collared way Fox was brought up.

Probably one of Oliver Stone's best stories about the dark side of the American dream. Charlie Sheen was great as the young, naive yet excited Bud Fox looking to make a quick buck. And Michael Douglas stole the show and was Oscar worthy in this role as the cold, ruthless Gordon Gekko. Douglas and Terence Stamp worked well together as bitter rivals. The chemistry between the main characters was great and essential to the film. Also some noticeably enjoyable lighting technics.

My top 3 favorite Stone films in order:
1) JFK
2) WALL STREET
3) PLATOON

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445911
10/24/07 10:55 PM
10/24/07 10:55 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Good review for one of the best movies of the 80's.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: SC] #445913
10/24/07 11:23 PM
10/24/07 11:23 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Thanks and I agree, it was one of the best films of the 80's. It really blew me away, never a dull moment and I forgot to mention I enjoyed John C. McGinley's humor (he played Marvin who worked with Bud)

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #445942
10/25/07 01:36 AM
10/25/07 01:36 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CANDYMAN 1/2
(First Viewing)

Helen Lyle is a student who decides to write a thesis about local legends and myths. She visits a part of the town, where she learns about the legend of the Candyman, a one-armed man who appears when you say his name five times, in front of a mirror. Of course, Helen doesn't believe all this stuff, but the people of the area are really afraid. When she ignores their warnings and begins her investigation in the places that he is rumored to appear, a series of horrible murders begins. Could the legend be true?

This was not my type of horror flick. No real slashing them up and more of the "demented" main character who gets committed, runs from the bad guy, etc. However, Tony Todd was an excellent Candyman. His voice and dominating presence onscreen made him a chilling villain.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: KrautDude82] #445950
10/25/07 03:22 AM
10/25/07 03:22 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
 Originally Posted By: KrautDude82

Obviously you saw 30 Days of Night, was it bad? It was difficult to tell from the trailers, but the idea for the movie looked interesting. Why did you not like it?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #446224
10/25/07 08:42 PM
10/25/07 08:42 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CANDYMAN: FAREWELL TO FLESH
(First Viewing)

The Candyman moves on to New Orleans and starts his horrific murders once more. This time, his intended victim is a school teacher. Her father was killed by the Candyman, and brother wrongly accused of the murders.

I think Kelly Rowan was a better lead actress than Virginia Madsen was in the original film. Nothing against Virginia but I felt Kelly was a better damsel in distress. However, this second film wasn't as scary as the original but I enjoyed the storyline more. Tony Todd also wasn't as chilling as Candyman. His presence was still dominate but he wasn't as creepy either.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #446232
10/25/07 09:20 PM
10/25/07 09:20 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I always wanted to see Wall Street, but never did. I remember so vividly the previews with Michael Douglas saying "Greed is good." \:o That alone gave me the chills. Hearing others say how good it is does make me even more anxious to see it.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #446235
10/25/07 09:56 PM
10/25/07 09:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: KrautDude82

Obviously you saw 30 Days of Night, was it bad? It was difficult to tell from the trailers, but the idea for the movie looked interesting. Why did you not like it?

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT REVEAL ANY SURPRISES OR THE ENDING! PLEASE USE THE SPOILER FEATURE!!!!

Thanks

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Page 271 of 319 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 318 319

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull